How can I use my old Android phone as a WiFi only device?
Question by Adam Hrebeniuk /

I was hoping to find a step by step guide to transform my Old HTC Hero (sprint) into a WiFi only device. I need to be able to download and update apps from the Google Play store. Whenever my phone attempts to run the Google Play store updates or install a new app it fails.

• Ron D.

My 7in tablet (Polaroid) will not download a jobulator mobile app-. So I was thinking about buy an old cell phone that works with wifi. Is this idea workable? Please let me know

• Nur Adlina

I do not want to use wifi, I want open movie download that can not use the wifi .. Can or not?

• Steve

So why not see the solution?
    IDIOT admin

• md m momin

somedays ago i bought a new cell phone is HTC DIAMON 3G from ebay. now i don’t know how to use internet or wi-fi without sim card. so can tell me pls how m i use wifi with internet without sim card or any connection.

• vishal

i have sony xperia mini pro
    this phone has android 2.3 (Gingerbread) operating system and upgrat upto 4.0
    i will upgrate my phone to 4.0 but i am not satisfied with 4.0
    and i want my old version of android 2.3 (Gingerbread) how can i do

• Richie

I had been using my old G2X as a wifi only device just to be able to test mobile browser size for work and also download all my spotify playlists.
    I took it camping over the weekend and ran the battery down. A few days later it wouldn’t sync with google.

Took me a bit, but I found the problem was that I had the date and time of the phone to Automatically use network-provided values.

Once I set it to NTP Sync, problem solved!

Hope this helps anyone who has this same problem.

• Crystal

Thank you Richie! I followed your advice and I’m already seeing downloads. Lol

• Leticia M. de gracia

I really dont know how to be on line please help me

• Adam Hrebeniuk

Thanks to all the replies. I will respond and test this weekend.

• Dalsan

Here is some extra info for you to peruse for either extra you might like to do to your phone, or just extra knowledge. I don’t know if you have rooted a device before or have your Hero rooted, but doing so will allow you to use Adfree, which will block most advertisements from popping up within applications and games, just to make better use of the screen and user experience. Super One Click is a very simple yet powerful tool to root and unroot your device quickly and easily. Also, rooting allows you to gain access to bloatware so you can remove virtually any app to make more room on the phone and even get more usable system memory by uninstalling apps that automatically run even if you don’t open it.

• Josh Vogler

Are you trying to run it without a SIM card? Like you no longer want to use it as a phone, just a ‘wifi only’ device to browse the internet and run apps and stuff? I did this with an Atrix by disabling the sim check during the boot process. I think this would be able to be accomplished on a Hero also if it is indeed what you are trying to do, I’m not sure by your question if you still want the phone part functioning.

• Adam

I do not need or want to use the Cellular portion of the phone. I do want to use wifi and google apps in order for my son to be able to connect to a wifi network and send a message to me via an appropriate application (IM, WhatsApp, Skype etc.). I think I am getting there after clearing the Google Market cache and reloading the google market.

• Susendeep Dutta

You can find step by step guide in the first comment of the forum link below –

• Adam

Thanks Susendeep,
      If in the future I want to turn off those settings I will follow the guide. Gracias.