How can I use a wireless connection to play games with other PCs via LAN?

Maksym Hoyda May 16, 2013

How do I create a Wi-Fi network from my PC that I can use to connect to other nearby PCs to play games over a local area network?

1. Todd Hofer

The easiest way is this:
    1) Right click "Computer" and go to "Properties"
    2) In the section that is titled "Computer name, Domain and workgroup settings" Click "
    "Change Settings"
    3) Click the button labeled "Change"
    4) Select the "Workgroup" option
    5) Name the workgroup what ever you like
    6 Repeat 1 through 5 on all computers that are playing. Make sure that the workgroup name is the same on all.

Now, go into your network settings on each computer and get it's IP address. It should be something like: "192.168.1.1". Write down the address for each computer. Make sure each machine has the first 3 blocks the same in the IP address. ie: "192.168.1.xxx". Now make sure the last 3 digits are different on each one.

You should be good to go now. As long as everyone is connected to the same wireless network and are on the same workgroup, the computers will see each other on the LAN.

I explained this in real easy terms because I'm not sure of you experience or knowledge level. If you are still having problems, PM me and I'll help you out.

2. Harish Anim

well playing via LANs can also depend on what games you're playing its actually very easy on PCs if u just have a server to connect to you can start laying basically any game !

How To Set Up A Wi-Fi Network To Play LAN Games With Your Neighbors
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-wifi-network-play-lan-games-neighbors/

Analyzing the Network Traffic Requirements of Multiplayer Online Games
    http://informatica.uv.es/~pmorillo/papers/pmorillo_advcomp08.pdf

I have done the same myself. I have gone for a TP-Link 150Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adaptor Model no. TL-WN723N Ver 2.2 and created a Hotspot via Connectify Hotspot Pro 3.7.1.25486. It is working extremely well till now with my Windows 7 64 bit PC. Other wireless devices are connecting to it and sharing it's internet connection.

100% agree with Bruce Epper, however still mentioned a cheap way to setup a Home WiFi.

Using a wireless connection to play games, especially if your computer is being used as a hostspot for the gaming traffic, may create lag issues. You are better off using a hardware router or access point for machines that don't support wired connections and using a wired connection for every machine you can.

6. Chris Marcoe

If its at your home, jsut use the router. If you are talking about taking your machine on the road and playing, you can click the link. Lifehacker usually has some great ideas and are pretty straight forward.

http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

Good luck!