How can I use a VGA and DVI monitor together in a dual-monitor setup?

Jared P August 4, 2013

I have a Dell U2212HM and just recently bought a new Dell S2240L and attempted to go dual screen. The U2212HM has DVI, and the S2240L has a VGA. When I try to detect the S2240L, it displays the message that no other monitor was detected. The S2240L has an HDMI slot as well, but that doesn’t work either.

My computer has 2 DVI slots and one VGA, the S2240L has 1 HDMI and 1 VGA, and the U2212HM has a DVI and a VGA. Am I doing / connecting something wrong? Or do I need an HDMI –> DVI converter? How do I get the S2240L to work?

Jared, just a thought. From what you say, the new monitor (S2240L) doesn't work with either the HDMI or VGA connection. Have you actually tested it with another computer? It could be that's it's simply a faulty monitor.
    I say this, since in principle the setup should work just fine. I've connected many graphic card to a hybrid set of monitors (usually DVI and VGA, but other combinations as well), and I've had very little trouble with it in the past, so this would seem to offer a simple explanation to a puzzling problem.

2. MakeUseOf TechGuy

Found your question utterly confusing. Since we don't know model numbers by heart and don't all want to Google them every time, how about specifying "monitor", and "graphics card" or "computer" in your question? Dell could be referencing monitors or computers.

You said your computer has 2 DVI slots and 1 VGA. Where are they? If both DVI slots are on a video card and the VGA is on the motherboard, your system is probably using the video card and the on-board video (VGA) is disabled (and needs to be that way). Basically, both of your monitors need to be connected to whatever video source is enabled on the system (your video card). If both are not connected there, the one that isn't won't work.

The most inexpensive way to do this would probably to get a DVI-to-VGA adapter and use both of your DVI ports for your video output.