How can I upgrade Windows 7 Premium to Windows 8?

Ankur Kansagara December 11, 2012

I am using now Windows 7 .Can I upgrade Windows 7 Premium to Windows 8?How much does it cost?

1. Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

First let me caution you: You MUST run a compatibility check which Microsoft will suggest. Even then, I personally do not recommend that you switch - until you get a Windows 8 computer. Others may disagree but I bought the software for Windows 8 and decided against installing it. I am VERY glad I waited because a few days ago I bought a Windows 8 computer - but it is not a touchscreen. Windows 7 and Windows 8 are EXTREMELY different and I am returning the Windows 8 computer and get one with a touchscreen because Windows 8 is so different it seems to be made for a touchscreen. Once you have that and get used to it, it will be awesome, but from experience I suggest going to a Best Buy (or of course Microsoft store if one is near) with your Windows 7 computer instead of just doing it on your own. Get their advice or have them do the upgrade if you don't want to get one with Windows 8 already on it.

2. Parth Nagvadia

just insert cd of windows 8 and boot frm cd ..... it will ask u to upgrade click on it......

Hello, you also have the choice of contacting the computer manufacturer and see if they offer and upgrade option. Of course, this only works with known computer manufacturers like Dell, toshiba, acer, etc. You could also take advantage of the promotion for around 15 dollars.

In my personal opinion, I always rather do a clean install than an upgrade....just my opinion.

depends on how you got windows 7, if you purchased prior to the official supported date of free upgrade then will cost more, higher cost if you upgrade next year. Next year they will be another update of windows 8, not sure if you can get from windows 7 to that version of windows 8 (windows blue?) so perhaps upgrading to windows 8 is better to do first.

5. Kulbhushan Mangle

Go to :
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_Home_FPP_Null

Click on "Download Pro for INR 1,999 ERP" Button. It will download Windows8-Upgrade Assistant. It will analyze your system details and will let you know whether your windows can be upgraded to Windows 8 and which programs will be continued after Windows Upgrade. You can order directly through this program, if you continue to next steps.

• Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

It is not as simple as you make it sound. The differences in Windows 7 and 8 are extreme and to have a truly compatible system (unless you are a Technical expert)- I strongly recommend only using Windows 8 with a computer designed for Windows 8. Every brand of computer has several different models at all price ranges.

6. Arun Vishnu

insert your windows 8 upgrade disc and choose upgrade

7. Vishal Srivastava

Here's the deal- If the PC you bought comes with your Windows 7 Premium, and the PC was advertised as a version where you can Upgrade to Windows 8 on its launch at a low price, then you are allowed to upgrade. The cost of the upgrade is INR 699. Most of the devices which comply for the upgrade offer are bought within the last 6 months to 1 year period. If however, its an old PC on which you installed windows 7 or upgraded from Vista or XP, you're out of luck and have to buy a new copy.
    Example- I have bought a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop this October. I have Windows 7 Home basic as I deliberately kept my features low to save on money. It was advertised that on its release, I'll be able to get Windows 8 and now, on its release, I'm applicable to use this offer within the next 6 months or so.
    Note- This applies only to residents of India. If you are not a resident, please go here to check your offer- http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/
    Personal Note- Why upgrade to Windows 8. Even MUO admins say that its better to wait. I'm certainly not going for the upgrade. I'd love to hear your reasons...

8. Jordan Hardy

Depending on which edition you want to install,for example,the windows 8 Pro Edition will cost you somewhere around 120 dollars.

9. Joel Jacob

If you bought a PC preinstalled with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate on or after June 2, 2012, just go to windowsupgradeoffer.com and register.Microsoft will send you an email with your promotion code and purchase instructions when Windows 8 Pro is available. You can then download and install Windows 8 Pro on a compatible PC with Windows Upgrade Assistant.

10. pp potana

If you don't want to buy go to torrentz.eu and download a pirated copy (not recommended)

11. Douglas Mutay

You don't actually need to upgrade to Windows 7 Premium to get the full Windows 8 experience. you can go from where you are and it will cost you only 15 bucks if you don't delay because it's promotional now!

• Douglas Mutay

You're welcome Ankur!

yes you can. check the microsoft website for more info.

13. luis donis

of course you can upgrade for $ 14.99 in the offer that microsoft has limited time.

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

14. Hunbuhbhuygb Ygygbgybygb

49.99$ us for windows 8 pro

16. Paul Girardin

Before upgrading to Windows 8, Microsoft recommends that you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. It scans your current PC to see if it is ready for Windows 8 and then provides a compatibility report and optional steps for you to buy, download, and install Windows 8.

Full article (with link) here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

To buy from Microsoft directly, go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

To buy elsewhere, you might go to retailers (on & off line) like this one (online): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=windows+8

News and information retrieved from: ( http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-details-its-windows-8-upgrade-plans/13051) By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft

Microsoft has shared the following guidance:.

Users will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 (the name of the entry-level consumer version of the operating system) from Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium while maintaining their existing Windows settings, personal files and applications.

Users will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate while maintaining their existing Windows settings, personal files and applications.

What won't work: Users won't be able to upgrade or keep their Windows settings, files or applications if doing a cross-language installation. (However, users will be able to keep personal files/data during a cross-language install by using Windows 8 Setup.) Microsoft also is also not allowing users interested in doing a cross-architecture -- i.e., 32-bit to 64-bit -- install to do so. Whether running Vista or Windows 7, these users won't be able to keep their existing Windows settings, personal files and applications or data. They won't be allowed to upgrade this way, period.