How can I upgrade my laptop from 8GB of RAM to 16GB? Will this effect its performance?

September 15, 2013

I have an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop which came with 2 memory slots each able to hold 4 GB of RAM. I added the maximum RAM, totaling  8GB. I now need to add more, but it will only hold 8 GB.

Can I remove the full 8GB and add another 8GB ? How will this effect the PC if I remove all the RAM to add two new sticks?

1. James B

8gb in a laptop is far more than you would normally need; I would look at other aspects of your laptop if you're experiencing slowdown.

you can change the ram to higher frequency that is supported by your motherboard, i doubt that you will see superior windows performance unless the old ram was faulty, i suggest upgrade the hard drive to SSD or/and cpu upgrade.

The risk is yours if you want to try it, but some laptops and desktops can actually accept and read more than the stated maximum. I have an Acer Aspire One 722 netbook that only has one memory slot. The maximum stated memory amount was 4GB, but i went ahead and installed an 8GB memory stick instead and it worked. I'm not saying that it will work for you, but you can try if you wish. Generally, though, anything above 6GB of memory would only be used when multitasking with many browser tabs open plus other programs running, when video editing and encoding, or when heavily editing photos with software like Photoshop. If you were looking for a performance boost, other methods would be suggested instead of expanding to 16GB of memory in a system that supposedly only accepts up to 8GB, especially with the cost for 16GB memory. Disk cleanup, defragmenting, turning unnecessary system background services off, turning Windows features off like Aero Peek, uninstalling unused software, etc. would be the best place to start. If you are looking for better gaming performance, then you are out of luck.

As Jim pointed out, if the specifications states 4GB is the maximum module size you won't be able to get more than 8GB at 2 slots.
    Also unless you do some rendering or video encoding you won't see much improvement from 8GB to 16GB.

I suggest looking into the Resource Monitor (you can find it using the Start button search). Go to the memory tab and take a look at how much is free and on standby. Unless both are very low your system memory is sufficient enough.

Depending on the full specs the bigger bottlenecks are probably any Integrated Graphics Solution and probably a 5400RPM hard drive (which are common for notebooks). While an IGP cannot be replaced/changed you can certainly get some performance exchanging a regular hard drive with a Solid State Drive.

5. Jim C

Specs indicate that 8 GB RAM is maximum supported.