How can I uninstall Windows Media Center from my computer?
Question by Anonymous /

I mistakenly made Windows Media Center the default for opening files and now I can’t open to change the default or find a way to get rid of Windows Media Center. I had disabled it in the task bar but it is still in my computer. I can’t open system restore either because WMC keeps opening in my computer. I can’t restore remotely either, it send me error message. I had already untick all boxes in “general setting” of WMC but it is still on my computer. Seems this is big problem with almost all users of WMC. I actually do not want WMC in my computer since I already been utilizing windows media player before this WMC appeared on my computer. Can please someone help me on this problem?

• Susendeep D

See the below article which discusses uninstalling and removing Windows Media center –

Uninstall, Disable, or Remove Windows 7 Media Center

• Dalsan M

To disable WMC, click on Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features. On the left-hand side of the window should be “Turn features on or off”. Click on it, and in the list, find and click on the “plus” sign next to Media Features to expand all of the listed features. Uncheck Windows Media Center, and then click on OK. This will not uninstall WMC so that it can be turned back on just in case you might want it one day, but you won’t have the problem of WMC opening any more.

As a warning, though, turning off or uninstalling WMC may cause future updates to fail from installing because the removal of WMC also removes the RunOnce registry key. Here is more information and a fix for the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2606237.

• Bruce E

Click on Start – Default Programs. In the new dialog box, click on ‘Set your default programs.’ Select Windows Media Player from the list of programs then click on ‘Set this program as default.’

If you want to (almost) completely get rid of WMC, you can open Control Panel – Programs and Features and click on ‘Turn Windows features on or off.’ Expand ‘Media Features’ and remove the checkmark next to Windows Media Center. Click on OK and let it do it’s thing.

• Jan F

go into “Control Panel” >”Programs” and then click on “Turn Windows Features on or off”
    search for Media Features in the list, extend it and uncheck “Windows Media Center”