How can I turn Avast antivirus on in 64-bit Windows 7?

Cyborg Abhi June 20, 2012

I’m running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I installed my usual antivirus, Avast on it. I’m facing the following two issues (in decreasing order of severity):

Though the processes AvastSVC*32.exe and AvastUI*32.exe keep running, the Windows security flag reports Avast is not running and says, “Turn on avast! antivirus (important)”. On opening the Action Center, it says, “avast! Antivirus reports that it is turned off.” 8 out of 10 times, pressing the “Turn it on” button or link has no effect. (I guess, Avast actually runs because it responds to program-installations etc., only Windows reports that it’s turned off.)

Avast claims it is 64-bit compatible and offers a unified 64- and 32-bit installer. It even gets installed in ‘Program Files” and not in “Program Files (x86)”. Why then the processes are 32-bit? I’ve read that on a 64-bit system, the antivrus and other important security system-software has to be 64-bit.

What can I do to fix these issues? Yesterday I ran Rkill and performed a quick system scan with Malwarebytes (found one issue). After that Avast remained functional for one day. But today again there is cross on the flag that won’t go away.

Shall I go for some other antivirus? What would be a good free 64 bit choice other than Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials?

1. thuya8

may be you get pirated version.
    I enjoy using avast internet security with no action centre warning message.

Hello, I am running avast free in one of my windows 7 x64 system without facing the problems you are having. I would try uninstalling your avast installation and then download a new version. That should fix your problem.

If Avast is reporting that it is running properly, you can disable the antivirus notifications as some AV products are not detected properly by Windows as enabled (or installed in some cases).

It is not uncommon for 64-bit programs to still utilize 32-bit services that run in the background. I recently worked on a 64-bit system that had the 64-bit version of Office 2010 on it which still uses 32-bit processes as well. There is no requirement for 64-bit systems to run only 64-bit software and in the case of antivirus software, there is not any real benefit for doing so.

• Cyborg Abhi

Thank you. Avast is one of the most popular AV products. Windows ought to be detecting it...

• Roshin idi

Windows does detect Avast, I would recommend re-installing.

• Goro

Yes, as i have read on other forums windows is detecting avast as a VIRUS.. I don't get what they say.. but Do you think it is true?

probably because avast has to load all those shields after you logon. You can test it by right clicking the orange Avast icon in the systray and then go to "Avast shields control". Choose to disable permanently and then reboot. You can re-enable them again once windows boots to the desktop again. if this solves the problem. perhaps then consider to uninstall avast completly using revo uninstaller, then download the software Everything
    http://www.voidtools.com/download.php
    http://www.techtipsgeek.com/search-files-folder-everything-tool/2208/
    or Agent Ransack
    http://www.mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?type=agentransack&page=home

do a search of left over avast files and delete then reboot and reinstall Avast.

perhaps you may want to disable windows defender also

prior using avast did you have another security tool, if yes perhaps uninstallation went wrong so search also for left over files.

• Cyborg Abhi

Thanks! I would try that.

• Cyborg Abhi

Did everything, but the cross on the flag won't go away. When I turn off some shields and press the 'Turn on' button, Windows turns on all shields, avast is on, but the cross remains.

So finally I switched to AVG.