How can I troubleshoot why my VLC media player has been crashing recently?
Question by Kavi Divesh /

Recently, my VLC media player has been crashing regularly and has not been responding. I use Windows 7.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

Firstly,use the latest version of VLC.Then check whether you enabled hardware acceleration or not.

• Douglas Mutay

Many problems with VLC are due to wrong settings or broken cache. You can solve these through deleting VLC’s preferences and cache. From your start menu: All programs > VideoLAN > Reset VLC media player preferences and cache files.
    Or you can do it manually. Just open the explorer and type %APPDATA% into the address bar and hit enter. This should lead you to the AppData folder of your user. You will find a folder named vlc. Delete that folder and your done. This should fix your issue.

• Réy Aétar

reset vlc media player

• Vaarish Misra

it will be better if u re-install it ! Because all the setup files will be refreshed!

• Junil Maharjan

use a previous version of vlc

• Alba Spam

Try re-installing it; some of its files may have been deleted.

• John Smith

try using the portable version and see if it fix the issues.

check windows event viewer for message

Remove your VLC preferences, which are located in /Users//Library/Preferences/VLC and then see if the issue persists.

• Vipul Jain

You can try falling back to a previous version. Lately VLC has been playing with the Beta tag!

• luis donis

that for when viewing a movie? may be that the graphics card is failing out there.

• Kavi Divesh

yes when viewing movie on a cd format avi get this problem have a graphics card nevida geforce 7600 gs