How can I tell which software to uninstall on Windows?

William Abbey March 23, 2013

How do I find out which programs I need which ones I don’t? I dont want to remove the wrong ones…

Is there something to make this easier?

1. Dave Rimmer

I would say that as long as your PC is running fine then leave it, don't fix what isn't broken. If you are admant about uninstalling some programs then google them that way you will also get used to what is what.

2. EL

If you don't know what a certain software is, google it. That should help you figure out if it's something important, or if you can get rid of it.

3. Prashant M

Software that you dont use must be uninstalled else all do not touch them

Hello, have you noticed if there is/are programs in your system which you have not used in a while? If you, you could probably get rid of them. If this is a new computer, did it come with trial software such as antivirus or office? If you are not planning to use office, you could uninstall or if you are not sure at least run the trial.

To give a better answer, would it be possible for you to name some of the software you are not sure about?

5. Cindy Young

usually system optimize tools can tell you how frequently you use one software, so you can judge whether uninstall one software or not.
    Advanced System Optimizer is recommended.
    http://www.goshareware.com/advanced-system-optimizer.html

6. GamE

Use Your Uninstaller or some system maintenance programs such as ashampoo or iobit system care

I think Bruce has hit the nail on the head. The apps and programs you can uninstall are the ones you dont use.
    An app called Decrapifier can help you search for apps etc and you can then decide whether you need it or not.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

PC Decrapifier, which Bruce recommends, is an excellent starting point. I would also download and use IOBit Uninstaller to generate a list of all the software on your PC (More=>Export Application List). You can then go through the list carefully (Google is very handy for that!). and decide what to remove, if anything.

You should remove:
    Toolbars, unless you specifically want them.
    Java unless you KNOW that you need it. You can always reinstall if necessary
    Browsers and media players that you definitely do not use.

You should *keep*
    Windows updates, all .NET instalaltion etc.
    Manufacturer's drivers and utilities that are actually needed (PC Crapifier will give you a description of them, read those descriptions and make your decisions carefully).
    Adobe Air, Flash, MS Silverlight
    Your main Office Suite (e.g. MS Office, Libre Office, whatever you use), web browser and media player.

How to Remove Crapware Bloatware from Your Windows Computer
    http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Crapware-Bloatware-from-Your-Windows-Computer

11. SaapeXD MoHods

Remove:
    - Softwares you dont use at all
    - Crapwares
    - Toolbars

Keep Only the Application you use most often. (probably the Web Browser, MS office, Video Player and A graphics application, right? )

The ones you need are the ones you use. If you don't use it, you don't need it and it can be removed (as far as applications are concerned). In my opinion, ALL toolbars should be removed. Trial versions of software are generally unnecessary. PC Decrapifier can help with identifying and removing the BS.

• justinpot

Like the point, but it can be dangerous: many people don't recognize apps that are tied to drivers, for example. Remove those and you'll run into problems.