How can I submit articles to websites and magazines for publishing?

Joseph Videtto January 30, 2013

Hi – I’m thinking of doing some writing, and I’d like to do it for people that are interested enough in my writing and what I have to say to pay me for it. I think I could probably write some good MUO articles, and some good articles about using selected music software products.

How can I learn if I can submit ‘one-time’ pieces for which I might be paid to other publishers – both Internet and print. Such as, in NYC – NY Times, Wired Magazine, selected websites. Or does it not work that way – e.g. you’re hired as a writer and paid a salary to write weekly, those publishers not typically accepting and paying for outside articles ?

1. Justin Pot

You're asking a question millions of people ask every year; finding paid gigs takes a little time. Aiming for the Times and Wired might be ambitious for now, but you can work towards it.

If you're serious about writing for MUO get in touch with me and we'll talk about a manual. I'm not going to leave my email address here but there are easy ways to find it.

2. Dave Parrack

It's certainly possible to have submissions accepted for websites and publications, but certainly not all accept them. You may be setting your sights a little too high with the New York Times.

If you go the Web route, as I did, you'll need to build a portfolio of work which you can then direct potential employers/editors to in the future. This may mean working for little or no money for others, or writing on a personal blog or website. Put in the groundwork and hopefully the rewards will follow.

3. Amit Sinha

Simmply contact respective web master for you were interested in writing articles, you must approach through qualtiy articles and have good way of demonstrating with great covering letter too.

4. Lisa Santika Onggrid

If you want to work freelance, then you should approach the media you want to write for and send your articles/stories there. If they accept submission, they should have their email written somewhere in the website. You might be a regular writer if your writings have appeared semi-regularly and deemed to be quality pieces. Some sites/print publications have closed circle of writers, but most do accept outside job.

talk to the websites editors and ask them the requirements for the article. even if they ask you to send the article, they may ask you to rewrite the article a few times before they finalize it. But the hardest part would be to convince them to check your article for once. however there may be websites where you may be able to write without these hassles but your payment may be based on click and paid apps which is very low unless you manage to get enough ads on you article or enough likes or something like that. hope this helped.