How can I stop the Google maps app from running in background on Android?

DrSunil Vaswani March 6, 2013

How can I disallow Google Maps app from running in background? I want to avoid it occupying random memory!

1. Vedavyas Paruchuri

On Samsung mobiles you can close applications by using Task Killer or By going to Applications page on Settings. You can close all the programs running background on your mobile

2. Schvenn Meister

I strongly recommend using LBE Security Master to properly manage Android devices. You can get the latest English (translated) versions from XDA-Developers. It will allow you to manage startup apps as well as protect you in dozens of other ways. Rooting your device will make it even more effective.

3. Hovsep Avedissian

some applications are written to not be stopped and they restart themselves.

Autostarts
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elsdoerfer.android.autostarts
    root access required

Autorun Manager
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rs.autorun

Settings - Location settings, uncheck "Report from this device". Disable Google Now.

• DrSunil Vaswani

I would check the setting which you mentioned

4. DalSan Mack

Unfortunately, there is no real way to stop Google Maps from starting or running in the background without freezing or uninstalling it. In order to do so, the phone or tablet must be rooted, then using an app like Titanium Backup Pro to freeze the Maps app. Maps is even worse than Facebook when it comes to restarting and taking up precious memory. The more you try to kill the app, the more the memory is taken up by it when it restarts, to a point. About the best thing to do is to leave it alone. I have tried many methods aside from freezing and uninstalling the Maps app, but nothing helped, only made things worse.

• sachin goral

Same here.

5. Louis Wang

Depends on the Android OS, you can either stop the service via the running services tab in apps or force stop it via the app detail page.

To stop it from restarting again you'll need to disable the app (Android 4+) or alternatively root your phone and disable the autostart conditions.

• DrSunil Vaswani

how to disable system apps

• Louis Wang

You'll need to root your phone

Keep the home button pressed for a elongated period and then tap stop all for closing all the background apps or just scroll to Google Maps and close it.

• DrSunil Vaswani

It re-starts