How can I stop Swype from setting itself as the default keyboard on my Android?

Larry Martin April 1, 2013

I have a ZTE Engage bought in Nov 2012. If Swype was a factory program it never bothered me until I BOUGHT Swiftkey. Set Swiftkey as default and now Swype (properly named) constantly set itself to default, interferes with everything I do on this device. There are no uninstall methods included, except the one that fails. Tried a couple uninstaller apps and it doesn’t show up on their menu.

1. Harry Barnes

You could try putting your phones SD card into a computer, navigating to the folder that contains the swype files, and then deleting them.

Copy the folder to your computer desktop first though, before you delete it from the sd card so you can put it back on the sd card if something go's wrong after deleting the files. For example if you deleted the wrong files and they turned out to be all your angry birds save games :P

• null

I like your answer but, I can't move it to an sd card. Doesn't allow me. My original thought was to put a card I do not use in and move to the card. Do you have some info that might help?

• DalSan M

Since it is a system app (pre-installed by the carrier with read-only access), it is not possible to alter, delete, or move any files associated with Swype without rooting the device first.

2. Jasmine Montgomery

i always accidently turn my swype on. you go into text message and get your keyboard on the screen. there should be a screw like picture used for settings. click on thhat icon an there will be a whole bunch of settings there for you.

Open a text message screen. Tap and hold down on the text box, and a window should pop up. Then click on input method and you can choose your keyboard from there.

4. Donald Schultz

Try going to your text messenger, go to the settings and turn it off.

• Harry Barnes

He can't do that because the whole problem is that it just re-enables itself and makes itself the default again!

5. Michael Heffner

It should keep the change if you set it as the default input method in the language menu. If not root the phone if possible and use Titanium Backup to uninstall it.

Apparently the phone carrier knows what you want on your phone more than you do.

6. doctorfine

1).Go to Settings then scroll to Languages and keyboard
    2) check mark next to name of new keyboard
    3).Go to a text entry field (email, SMS...)
    4).Long press in empty compose space, select Input Method
    5).Select keyboard that you want to use

open a text field and pull down notification bar from the top of the screen, tap "choose input method",

8. Louis Wang

Is swiftkey moved to SD? that could be a problem.
    If not, try a factory reset or root your phone then freeze it with a root app such as Gemini App manager.

9. gestalt0421

I'm not sure if Engage has a Samsung counterpart, but on my phone, I set the default keyboard by going to Settings --> Locale and Text --> Text Settings --> Select Input Method.

• Ole Funch

Have a Samsung too, and I only have to do the same, and it Works.

10. DalSan M

Have you cleared the defaults on Swype through the App Manager? The only way to freeze or uninstall system apps (apps that were pre-installed) is to root your phone, then use an app like Titanium Backup. Other than that, not sure what to do.

• Larry Martin

Yeah I did do that, and yeah I figured rooting it would be needed. I was really hoping someone else had done it without rooting it Thanks for answering