How can I stop multiple Chrome browsers from running in the background?

Kelly Sharp November 29, 2012

Lately when we turn the computer off we’ll have to “end task” of two or more Google Chrome running in the background (we use Windows XP pro). I just used my program SIW & was shocked to find a large amount of busy ports. 3 ports established for Chrome, 1 established for Google Talk plugin, 17 listening 2 of which are Google Talk plugin & 9 are Avast. 7 ports are “Time Wait” all of which are System Process and all the same port address. I know this isn’t a good thing but I don’t know how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1. Rohit Pandey

try use ccleaner to off their ext n startup. get the new ccleaner.

3. Nephi Wright

You can view which processes that Chrome is running by navigating, in chrome to this url: chrome://memory-redirect/ It lists the pid and name, so you can map these to your task manager. Then to stop these processes, you can uninstall the extension or the plugin from chrome://extensions/ or chrome://plugins/

If it is the fact that the shut down is causing problems, even when chrome is closed, then definitely follow the steps described by ha14:
    1.Select Settings.
    2.Click Show advanced settings.
    3.In “Background Apps” section, deselect “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed” checkbox.

HTH

• Kelly Sharp

I want to thank you for reminding me of this:
      "If it is the fact that the shut down is causing problems, even when chrome is closed, then definitely follow the steps described by ha14:
      1.Select Settings.
      2.Click Show advanced settings.
      3.In “Background Apps” section, deselect “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed” checkbox."
      While I was reading that from ha14 Malwarebytes popped up a balloon with this info,
      "2012/11/30 22:02:40 -0800 KELLY-F4F2E052A IP-BLOCK 219.146.8.78 (Type: incoming)"
      and I got sidetracked.

4. Abba Jee

you can't as long as you have chrome on your system, if you kill the task your messing browsing

• Kelly Sharp

Thank you.

5. Jan Fritsch

It is common that you have multiple instances of Chrome running in the background as each Tab, Extension and plugin is running in it's own process.

Just opening Chrome itself will usually result in 3-4 open processes e.g. 1 for the main window, 1 for the first tab, one for Flash plugin.

Pretty much the same goes for open ports – for example if you have some Gmail or Facebook extension and such there is a good chance of various ports being open, or waiting for activity.

So it all comes down to what you have installed and enabled within Chrome. While this doesn't rule out any infection or something I wouldn't be too concerned.

• Kelly Sharp

I appreciate your help with this matter.
      I've always noticed A few Chrome processes running at the same time but I never had problems with any of them continuing to run unnoticed and be forced to closed when I shut off the computer....

• Jan Fritsch

Go into the Chrome settings and click the advanced button. At the bottom you will find "Background Apps".

If it is enabled it would explain why there are still processes even if you close it.

Disabling it should get rid of the processes but may also disable certain features like Google Cloud Print or some Gmail or Facebook checker that regularly checks for new messages or posts.

6. Terafall

Uninstall Chrome

• Kelly Sharp

I like Chrome and since this is a very recent problem I believe it stems from something else but thanks for your input anyway.

Install Malwarebytes, update it and scan your system for virus activity.

• Kelly Sharp

Thank you. I know I had to have heard at least the name of that program at some point in time but until now never thought much of it.
      I Googled it and found basically nothing but good reviews so am going to try it. I have Advanced System Care 6 as well as Avast Antivirus and thought those would be sufficient.
      Again, thank you.

google talk ports
    http://support.google.com/talk/answer/27930

for google chrome ITCP/UDP socket communication, there is always a port associated with a socket. For both the receiving and the sending side. The local port numbers have no real meaning. It's nothing to worry about. HTTP most commonly uses port 80. 443 is most commonly used by HTTPS.

• Kelly Sharp

Thank you for your reply. I wouldn't be so concerned if it weren't for the fact Chrome seems to be running "invisibly" & unnoticed until I shut off the computer. I usually have to click "end program" twice even though I don't have the browser running.
      I saved a copy of the port/network info if that would be helpful?...

• Kelly Sharp

I guess posting that info wouldn't be too smart since it would tell everyone how to get in ...O_o...

Background pages and background apps
          http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1184722
          1.Select Settings.
          2.Click Show advanced settings.
          3.In "Background Apps" section, deselect "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" checkbox.

Which ports are considered unsafe on Chrome
          http://www.softwaretalk.info/which-ports-are-considered-unsafe-on-chrome.htm

• Kelly Sharp

Thank you again. Yes I had some extensions I'd forgotten to disable.
          I also checked the link of unsafe ports for Chrome and found I have
          port 139 netbios-ssn "Listening" and
          port 135 epmap "Listening".
          With everyone's help I seem to be narrowing things down.