How can I shut down an account created by a phony website?

Karlyn Knudson March 25, 2013

I was so excited when I got a notification that I had won second place in a  drawing on a site  I was on I was reading the details of  why  the drawing was significant  and seemed pretty legit, nothing sounded to good to be true.

I had just about worked my way up to that and I scroll to  a line that says click hear to see what I won.  Before I could stop myself I clicked  and the screen came up it had  profile info  with my name add phone and birth date  and said by click  I had agreed to  terms and to open a bank account. I tried to go back and couldn’t. When i found to  contact  at bottom  it had a web site , I was going to go to web site and decided to check to see if it matched where the email originally came from and I had another message from them said that they checked my info and that I did actually qualify  and some other  crap that of course sounded to good to be true,What can I do now that I already screwed up like this?

Is there anything that I can do to insure that a web site like this doesn’t open a bank account in my name . I did reply to there second email and said i had made a mistake in haste without fully understanding what i as agreeing to is there anything else I can do to save myself?

1. Chris Marcoe

First thing I'd do is install something so the site doesn't track me anymore. Maybe something like the addon DoNotTrackMe. then search around their site and see if there is somewhere that you can close the account from. Though, I would want to limit any time on that site. If they already opened an account in your name, its pretty obvious that they are not trustworthy. You can also report them to various pages like google as an attack site. (Not sure if "attack" is the right word there.)

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mostly,opening a bank account requires one to submit proofs of address,photo etc.. Also,a minimum amount of money is also required.So,it appears that chances of opening a fake account is next to none.

3. Dave Elmert

You can contact the web master straight away to shut your account down, by submit a ticket customer service, email them or call them by phone. If they don't have any contact person on their site you can check it by
    http://www.whois.com
    And see the website's registrar there.

I hope it works.
    Thank you.