How can I share only a select few cells of a Google Spreadsheet and keep the rest private?

Anonymous September 29, 2013

I am a teacher, and keep grades and notes for multiple students in a single spreadsheet. Each student has one row with 6 cells. I would like to share each student’s row only with his parents and homeroom teacher.

Is there a way to set it up so that any given student’s parent and homeroom teacher can see only his or her cells? This would be for viewing only, not editing.

I am using Google Spreadsheets.

There's no direct way of doing this unfortunately. You can "Publish to the web" (from the File menu), which will create a static web page, but the minimum you can publish there is a sheet, so you would need to split the result to a separate sheet for each student - a lot of work!
    If you're going down that road, it may be easier to simply copy the results and email them to each family & teacher. If you know your way around scripts, you may even be able to create a script which will do this for you automatically.