How can I share my Android phone’s Internet with my iPad?

Debora Reynolds April 26, 2013

Is there any way to share my Android phone’s web access with my iPad? I have tried connecting via Bluetooth and of course that didn’t work. Are there any apps or built-in Android solutions for this?

Thanks!

1. Brian D

You need to enable tethering and shut the wifi off. Then tie your iPad to your android phone. I do it every weekend.

2. DalSan M
    • DalSan M

Somehow my original post went missing, but PDANet+, which includes FoxFi, enables hotspot capabilities without rooting the phone (gaining administrative rights) and bypasses any carrier hotspot applications and settings. This means you can create a Wi-Fi hotspot out of your phone for free or physical restrictions, but leaves you vulnerable to an extra charge by your carrier for hotspot usage, or worse, termination of your contract (though but very likely). Just be careful if how much data usage you are using during the hotspot connection (downloading large files and/or streaming too many videos or music to your iPad). You may have to purchase the pro key for this application for full features and less restrictions, but it is well worth it. I have been using PDANet+ for a while and have had no problems or issues (not even a warning from the phone carrier for using the phone as a hotspot).

• DalSan M

*(though not very likely)

3. Debora Reynolds

Sorry, maybe I didn't word my question correctly. I want to be able to use my iPad in my car and use my phone as the access point, but also my phone doesn't have the settings you are talking about, though it does have wifi & Bluetooth.

Which version of Android is your smartphone running. Even if it doe not have the option, then try the 3rd. party apps I suggested with the links given.

4. Harshit J

Just use your android phone's built in wifi hotspot feature. Go to Settings>More>Tethering & portable hotspot>Set up Wi-Fi hotspot. Make sure that you atleast set a password.
    If you are using a very old android phone, then you may have to install a third party wifi hotspot app. It is not needed for newer android phones.

You may have to create a hotspot in Android phone and then connect the two via wifi to share the internet. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=hotspot&c=apps&price=1

Ignore the first product as it is for something else. Try the second or the third one.

However, Android itself has the built in Wifi Hotspot feature. So maybe, you can do via that without installing any apps. It is Settings->More..->Tethering & portable hotspot->Set up Wi-Fi hotspot