How can I share a static IP address with three computers over a wired connection?

Sharon Vanhoose March 2, 2013

I have a static IP address that I need to share over a wired connection between three computers. Wireless works, but is not reliable due to environment.

I understand the differences between static and dynamic IP address and can get one computer working fine, but I cannot get internet access on the additional computers. I know I am missing some very important step and everywhere I read I get so much info that does not apply.

So far I have a connection coming out of modem provided by service provider. I hooked router into that then went to first computer and it will work fine. I entered static IP address in local area connection properties.

I have tried so many different things that now I am lost. Where do I go from here.

1. Muo TechGuy

Your mistake is in entering the static IP address on the local network. It's not used internally - only for your router. The static IP address is what the rest of the world sees; on your internal network, everything is just a standard setup - no need to configure those with anything static, just grab the address from DHCP automatically.

• Sharon Vanhoose

Thank you all so much I am up and running it is wonderful. I love Make Use OF !!!!!!!!!

Give the router the static IP address. Make sure to set all the computers to obtain IP address automatically.

3. Jan Fritsch

If your modem requires the device to have a static IP you should configure that IP on the WAN port of your router and then run your own local network behind that using DHCP, NAT etc. of your router.

Usually all you have to do in that regard is reset the router to factory defaults
    - connect it's WAN port to the modem
    - in the web interface configure the WAN port with the static IP

Thenconnect your computers to the Ethernet ports of the router.

4. Rob Hindle

connect your modem to a router, typically these have 4 ethernet ports (and, if required, also a wireless capability). All devices you connect to that will use NAT to share the IP address. The static IP address is assigned to the router then each attached device has an internal IP, typically in a protected range 192.168.1.xxx.
    If your individual PCs need to use a static IP address, you'll need to get 2 more IP addresses.