How can I scan a color image to B&W so it conserves ink?

Joseph Videtto December 6, 2012

When I do this the  the colors end up printing in various shades of gray and using more ink. How can I stop that?

1. Joseph Videtto

Suppose during the print preview (in Adobe viewer, or acrobat), some areas of the scan look very dark gray - these will of course use extra ink. Is there any way to lighten this section and the overall picture, without 'over-ligtening' the areas that are 'ok' ?

2. Jake Potts

The way to conserve ink when printing a scanned photo is through the print options. While there are a number of ways to edit these settings, the context will differ depending on the manufacturer of the the printer and which software is used.

Generally speaking, from the window where you are looking at your image to be printed: click the menu [file] > [print] in the window which comes up, select [preferences] in the new window which comes up select [print quality] > [draft] then select [ok] > [print]

Those were the buttons for the lexmark printer in my office. On my HP at home the option is called [fast draft] Hope this helps!

3. Justin Pot

You can also, while printing, set the printer to only print in black and white. Look into it, because it might save you a lot of time.

Scan the picture as normal then if you just want black and white you can use one of the many free photo editors about. There are a few mentioned on this site, just search for them.
    Be warned the picture wont be anything at all like the original without shades of grey.

5. Douglas Mutay

If you're using the default Scanner and Camera wizard of Windows, on the picture type select Black and white picture or text and preview your picture before scanning it to make sure it is as you want it. When you're done. You can easily print it as it is.

Scan with scanner set for B&W and set printer to use B&W.