How can I run Windows 7 programs on Windows XP?

July 2, 2013

I tried to install office 2013 and flutter in my windows XP service pack 3 and it says that i can’t install it because i need to run them on windows 7 or better ! I really don’t wanna change my windows XP so is there any way to run such programs in windows XP ?

1. Rajaa C

Try Kingsoft Office. I assure you, you will be pleasantly surprised.

As others have said, there's no way around it. The system requirements for Office 2013 are Windows 7 or higher.
    If what you are looking for is to be able to work on ".DOCX" documents etc, you can download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3) which will add support for those formats to older versions of Office (2000-2003).
    If you are want a modern looking package, you could download the free Kingsoft Office 2013, which looks very similar to MS Office and works in a very similar way. It supports the MS formats, but misses out on some of the more advanced features of the MS package (Sky Drive access, macros etc).

3. Dany Bouffard

There could be a way for you to run it, but I really dont recommend it. Make yourself a virtual machine with VirtualBox of windows 7 and then install Office 2013 in that. But it would be slow and probably not perfect compatibility.

4. Matt S

I don't believe this is possible. As Hosvep already said, your only option is to try dual-booting. But that does mean you'll have to buy Windows 7.

Your best bet is to upgrade to Win7 for the following reasons:

Support for XP ends in April of next year. After that point, you will no longer get any kind of security patches and many hardware manufacturers have already discontinued making drivers for XP.

Even if you want to run Win7 in VirtualBox or another virtualization tool, you still have to buy a copy of Win7 and your performance will suck in comparision to running it on bare metal.

If you have software that doesn't run under Win7, even in compatibility mode, if you are running the Pro or Ultimate edition of Win7, you can always use Windows Virtual PC to run your older XP software. After the initial startup of the program, it will still tend to run faster than if you were hosting it on another virtual platform as well as having better inegration features. For example, instead of having to manually launch onther virtualization manager, log into the guest OS, then launch the program, you can simply click on a single icon to run it as if it was a native Win7 application.

Why can’t I install Office 2013 on Windows XP or Windows Vista?
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/why-cant-i-install-office-2013-on-windows-xp-or-windows-vista-HA103462811.aspx

you can try dual boot windows xp with windows 7

Take Windows 7 for a spin with VirtualBox
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9127980/Take_Windows_7_for_a_spin_with_VirtualBox?pageNumber=1