How can I run an advanced Google Alert based on phrases and lists of associated words?

Smith April 17, 2013

I would like a way to run something like an advanced Google Alert through a service or with software, a bookmarklet, etc.

I say advanced because the keywords that I am interested in are separated far way from one another. They are in a list format, but the title of the list is one of the phrases that I am interested in. So, for example, the list will look like this:

Buy One Get One Free:

Butter
Rice
Sausage
Chocolate

and so on. There will be multiple lists like this on one page, but only one will be titled Buy One Get One Free. There will also be other pages with the same heading, but on each page, the Buy One Get One Free is listed once. The length of the list varies. The only common thing to this list and all other lists is the anchor text: “Return to Top”

So, whenever an item is on that list that I am interested in, I would like to be notified. The keywords that I would be interested in for example would be “Buy One Get One Free” Sausage. If Sausage is in another list, I don’t want to know about it. How can this be done?

Looking forward to your responses.

You are not being understood properly because you are not expressing yourself clearly (perhaps because of the moderator, perhaps not, I'll not get into that). Are you wanting to search or to do a general web search _one_specific_page? If the latter, then this is nothing like a Google Alert, which simply does a periodic Google search and sends you the results!

• user11476532 Smith

It is a web search targeting one specific site. Multiple pages will have the lists in the way I described above. Whenever an item that I am interested in is in the Buy One Get One Free list, and only on that list, I want to know.

This can't b explained any simpler. The problem is easily understood. I know this is possible, but everyone thinking on Google Alerts has been headed in the wrong direction.

Solution:

Whenever a new page is on the site, scan it to see if it has the words Buy One Get One Free.

Continue scanning / scraping / crawling downwards until you see the words Return to top.

Compare the keywords found in that list / section with ones I a interested in.

If there is a match, let me know.

Smith, Google Alerts uses the normal Google query syntax, so for your example, the query would be:
    +"buy one get one free" +sausage
    The + means "only list pages which have this word and the quotation mark mean "search for the whole phrase".

• user11476532 Smith

All of which I already know. Why is the issue not being understood?!

The page will always have Buy One Get One Free listed. I am only interested though on what's on that list.

What I am given so far would give me results that I don't care for.

Example.

Buy One Get One Free:

Rice
      Pudding
      Bread

[anchor text: Return To Top]

Meats:

Sausage
      Bacon

[anchor text: Return To Top]

and so on.

The "solutions" I am given so far would produce a false positive for sausage. I want to know when sausage is included ONLY! in the Buy One Get One Free list.

If you have a look at the getting started page,then you'll have to use multiple words in a single alert to get it done.

While creating Google alerts,there's no option for setting up subject that you'll get to see while receiving them in your mail.

Instead,you could also try typing in the search query --> "Buy one get one free" + "Butter Rice".

If this doesn't works out,then try creating multiple alerts for each items like for example:-

Alert 1 - "Buy one get one free" + "Butter"
    Alert 2 - "Buy one get one free" + "Rice"

etc..

You can use some other tips for smart shopping techniques using Google alerts or Zing

If you still have some doubts,then click on contact us button present at top right side of the getting started page.

• user11476532 Smith

To Everyone:

No wonder I am getting responses that are heading in the wrong direction and focusing only on Google Alerts. The moderator or whatever is the role of the person who submitted my question, changed it. I also say in the description, something like an advanced Google Alert. Please read the first line carefully.

This was my original title: Something like an advanced "Google Alert / Web Crawler / Automated Search"

(There was one more piece to that title, but I didn't mention it, since it was part of my second question that the submitter / approver took out because she wanted me to submit it as a separate question. I will do so another time and post the link here because whoever can come up with a solution to this problem will definitely know the answer to the other.)

I highly doubt Google Alerts can do what I need to be done. I need some sort of a software or service that will scan the page extract where the Buy One Get One Free List Begins and Ends. The contents can then be emailed to me. With filters, I can have the emails automatically checked for specific products.

To: susendeep dutta

While lengthy, this does not seem to answer my question.

The search queries you suggested would only ensure that they are mentioned on the page. That's it. I need more than that. Buy One Get One Free would be on the site, and the Rice could be on sale for $5.00 in another list. Not in the Buy One Get One Free.

Also, I know how to use Google Alerts. I have also been hating it lately because it returns so few results despite me telling it to return all results. I am using another service that returns so much more results.

• user11476532 Smith

Sorry for the long submission without line breaks. I had them prior to submitting them. I don't know why they didn't remain.

4. Athul Jayaram

Ask this question to google direct on https://support.google.com/alerts/answer/175929?hl=en&ref_topic=28417#ts=2803340

I suppose they can help you get it customized the way you want ;)