How can I root or unlock a mobile and what does it mean?
Question by Joop Gobes /

What is rooting or unlocking a mobile. How to do this?

I have bought a Lenovo A789t in China running Android 4.0. It accepts China mobile SIM and China Unicom SIM cards. Does this means it’s unlocked or still locked, except for these 2 providers.

I will travel to New Zealand and Europe and really need an unlocked phone. Can I unlock it myself or have it done by someone?

• stephan raj

Hi,
    First you must know that rooting and unlocking are different.Let me explain about it.
    Rooting means obtaining the super user right and permission to your Android’s software. With these elevated user privileges, you gain the ability to load custom software (ROM’s), install custom themes, increase performance, increase battery life, and the ability to install software that would otherwise cost extra money.But unlocking is the process by which you can remove the Carrier lock from your mobile to use it with any other GSM network.You can unlock a mobile by contacting the service provider and requesting him to unlock your mobile or you can simply use the unlock codes .Today large number of providers,providing the unlock codes for most of the model phones but selecting a reliable provider is very difficult.If you want to get unlock code for your mobile,Then i would suggest you the site http://www.mobile-unlocker.com/supported-phones/rs2wp7/ .Where you can find the unlock codes for most of the mobiles ,according to the brand,country and the network to which the phone is locked .As I personally used the site to unlock my Samsung galaxy ace mobile from the carrier which is locked with.You can get the unlock code for your mobile by providing some simple information about your phone like the country and the network to which the phone is locked.By providing this information you will get the unlock code via mail,using the unlock code you can unlock your mobile to use it with any other Gsm network.

• Vhora Rizwan

You can search from google : How can I root or unlock a mobile and what does it mean?
    Then you getting many answers and use it.

• Nevzat Akkaya

Some people say don’t ever root your phone but I disagree this. Rooting is essential for backing up your phone and app settings. I can’t think I use a non-rooted phone, ever!

Unlocked phones: How to tell whether a phone is locked & where to buy unlocked
    http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/faq-is-my-handset-locked-and-unlocked-handsets-from-carphone-warehouse
    -The phone packaging/box has your operator’s logo on
    -The phone itself is branded with the operator’s logo
    -You see your operator’s logo every time you turn on your phone
    -There are items relating to your operator in the main menu (e.g. Vodafone 360, Orange World)… although sometimes you’ll see the branding even on a phone which isn’t locked

In your case most careers locks phones to work with their own career, not two careers. your phone may be unlocked.
    If you are not sure whether your phone is locked or not you can unlock it without rooting by many ways.
    You can find your phone specific instructions on http://android-unlock.net/
    And rooting:
    Rooting is to get the root access on your phone. rooting does not unlocks your phone but do allows you to install a custom rom (Installing a custom rom is like installing windows 7 instead of xp in your computer) and installing a custom rom unlocks your phone.
    but make sure that you know everything before rooting your phone. although with many solutions available today it is really rare to break a phone because of unlocking. after you unlocked your phone you can install a custom rom and you have unlocked your phone.

• Junil Maharjan

Rooting is method where you can get administrative level access to your android phones root files. These root files control most of your phone and should not be messed with if you do not know what they are. Unlocking is simply unlocking the system so that it works with other sims from other carriers. In some countries, the telecom operators lock mobile phone with a particular sim so that people can only use that particular sim. So unlocking is just taking that lock off so that these people can use the sims of other operators. I don’t think you need to unlock the sim coz it works with other sims.

• DalSan Mack

Rooting a phone means gaining root access, or ability to access and change, system root files. This is like accessing and changing Windows operating system files and registry items. As long as you are careful and follow instructions well, I wouldn’t worry about “bricking” your device. I have done this many times, including installing android on a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone. There are far more benefits to root a phone than there are to leave the phone as is. Disabling many of the ads if not almost all ads showed in your apps is a huge benefit, and even saves money over the ad-free version of the same app. You can remove carrier installed apps that otherwise could not be uninstalled, giving more space back on the phone and possibly memory as it won’t run any more. Under-volting and overclocking the processor can improve performance while improve battery life. There are tons more benefits. Plus, if you want to unroot the phone for sending the phone in for repairs is much simpler to do.

Unlocking a phone would allow you to use the phone for more than one carrier. Since you mentioned that you tried two different carriers and the phone worked for them, then it leads me to believe that your phone is unlocked. Only the carrier for your phone can give you the proper unlock code to unlock the phone for world use, or going to a reputable online or otherwise store that deals with unlocking phones for a fee would work. Doing this would allow you to go to admit country and use aSIM card from a carrier in that country to make local calls, then you can go back home and pop in your home town SIM card. Note, this only works for GSM phones. CDMA phones require flashing a compatible custom ROM (essentially a different carrier version operating system) to use on other carriers. This may not be true of CDMA phones with SIM cards.

• Alan Wade

What is rooting? – A possible way to kill your phone so dont go there pal!
    As susendeep said, if it accepts more than one carrier it cannot be locked.

• Shane La Horie

Rooting and unlocking is two different processes please don’t mix them up. Its common for noobs to mix them up.

Since,your phone can accept two SIMs from different carriers and a dual SIM phone cannot be locked for two carriers,then you can assume that your phone is unlocked.

For rooting your phone,you need to perform utter caution as it can brick your phone and technically render it useless.