How can I retreive the password for my user if I am running Ubuntu on a virtual machine?

Anonymous December 13, 2013

Hello!

A few days ago I sent my laptop to an IT company to be formatted and to get Ubuntu installed on it. I run ubuntu from a virtual machine . I want to retreive the password for my user. I lost the phone number of that company and I can’t reach them now. Is there a solution to solve this problem myself?

I would really appreciate your help, I have to work on some projects and my deadline is very close.

Thank you!

• Laura M

Thank you very much! Problem solved!

• Susendeep D

Laura,

I'm very much happy that your problem is solved.

Now,I request you to kindly mark your question as resolved by clicking on up-vote icon(thumbs up) of most appropriate comment.

2. Laura M

Yes, of course it prompts for new pasword, but it also asks for the old one, which i don't know. That was the question: how can i find out what was my initial password, without reinstalling my virtual machine.

3. Md Arshad K

You can change Ubuntu password using Termianl. Just use this command "passwd" and it will prompt for new password.