How can I restore my Dell laptop with Windows Vista Business to factory settings?

Richard Cardenas May 19, 2012

I want to restore laptop to factory settings. I have followed the prompt to use F8 and go to advance booting system and hit repair computer, but it’s not there in the category. I have also tried F11 and the central button, but nothing.

1. Himanshu Singla

This may be because you have deleted your recovery drive partition from the hard disk.So if the partition is deleted there is no option to restore factory settings however windows vista comes with the restore option.So you can choose the earliest restore point after purchase of laptop and get back to that condition.

2. Mason Bourdeau

Find a website to download an evaluation (unlicensed) copy of Windows Vista Business (this is totally legal, digitalriver is a good place to check). Then burn the ISO, backup all data (if applicable), wipe all partitions and install a fresh copy of Win Vista Business, then install drivers from the Dell website. DONE! and no stupid bloatware or other crap.

First, make a backup of all the data you want to save from the machine as you will lose it all during the process. Next, reboot the computer. If a DELL graphic shows up when booting, press ESC to get rid of it. This is before the Windows starting screen appears. You need to be quick here. Somewhere on the text screen, it should have instructions on what key to press to invoke the recovery process. Press the indicated key so the system will boot into the recovery partition. It should automatically reformat your C drive and copy the recovery image onto C, then reboot. At this point, it should be like you just took it out of the box on the day you got it. If it doesn't indicate a recovery option during boot, use the recovery CD/DVD you got with the computer. If you didn't get a recovery disc with the computer, it may have prompted you to create these discs when you first turned on the computer. In that case, you will need to boot with that disc in order to do the recovery. If you didn't create those discs initially, there may be an option in your start menu with the Dell software that will allow you to create those discs now. This software will normally run to completion once and then disable any further access.