How can I restore desktop, taskbar, and start menu file associations?

Kirti Jaiswal December 7, 2012

I was opening a folder which I had not opened in 4-5 months. It gave me two options to open it and I chose the program VCL media player. OK.

Then some desktop icons, all taskbar icons and start menu changed to VCL media player icon. None of the icon is producing right file, instead VCL media player is opening. How can the icons be restored?

1. Ron

I opened a document or let me say attempted to open a document and it changed all my files to lnk files. I now can not open anything on my computer and I using the Windows 7 home premium version. Right now all my icons show as adobe LNK files. Can anyone tell me how to get my laptop back to normal. To answer you question before it is asked no I do not have a back up point for some reason all of those are gone and I can not find the back up disk that I make about a year ago. Is there something I can do to get this back to normal?

2. Arun Vishnu

if there is a restore point created,you may restore to where you want

3. Sri Vastav Reddy

There is a small trick..
    I Learned this in my [ windows customization and Hacking Class] ..
    Just type this on run Commend Box
    " regsvr32 /i shell32.dll "
    then Hit " OK " button.
    Wallah...!!

Shell32.dll is responsible for handling shell API calls, which affect a large amount of the items you interact with in Windows (for example opening files).

4. Giggity Goebbels

Change default programs

Hello, you can either do it by downloading and runnning the the file association files for windows 7, or you can do it by using the open with option:

-- navigate to file you want to change file extension for
    -- right click on file
    -- highlight the open with option
    -- click on choose default program
    -- select the program you want to open those kind files (if the program that you want to use, does not appear on the list, click on the browse tab and navigate to where program is and select it.)
    -- check mark the option at bottom of screen that says: Always use the selected program to open those kind of files
    -- click on ok
    -- you are done

download this two files
    http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnk_fix_w7.zip
    http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip
    if you cannot extract on your pc then extract on another pc then use a usb key to transfer to your desktop and click on them to fix file association.

you can try this if you wish
    1. Open the Registry Editor (click Windows + R, type regedit, hit enter).
    2. Navigate to this registry branch: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.lnk
    3. Find the subkey called User Choice and delete it.
    4. Close Registry Editor.
    5. Reboot.