How can I restore an old Dell S505 back to its factory defaults?

Gary Day May 23, 2012

I have a Dell S505 that lists a lot of files as missing or unreachable. I’ve managed to make myself the administrater but can’t seem to get the PC to reboot from its original partioned hard drive. I guess I mean the one thats hidden during the original install. The laptop has Win XP Pro installed according to the label on the bottom. I suspect the laptop was some sort of network type pc since there is no additional cd driver in it.

Hello, I was not able to find that model in the Dell site. Is there any other info about model number? Chances are there is no recovery partition on that laptop as it was made before manufacturer's did away with media.

Does your machine have a product code other than S505 on the casing?

3. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

"pc since there is no additional cd driver in it"? is that mean cd drive? well there is several option with one solution, reformat it. but before i list all out in what to do. i need info about if u have common info about how to reformat a pc. if u have any external media like external hdd or usb stick that more then 4gb. or u have any external drive like cdrom or dvdrom. then i will insturct how to reformat it back to the original state but not factory default since we change th win verion n such. but it can be back in action if any hardware issues not invovle

Is it Dell D505? perhaps Dell didn't included a restore partition since this laptop was made before Dell started including restore partition. if Ctrl + F11 do not start recovery mode then you will need the windows xp cd.

you can try live cd like hirens boot cd
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    it has a minixp there and also some utilities