How can I reset the MAC ID of my NIC?

Prashant Mirjankar March 12, 2013

Few days back I changed motherboard and to continue using Internet I changed the MAC ID of NIC on new board with the values from old NIC. Then yesterday I called the customer care (ISP) to register new MAC ID and delete the old one which they did.

But now the problem is when I cleared the MAC ID it is not obtaining its default MAC ID, but instead still using the MAC ID of old NIC.

How can I reset the MAC ID? I’ve already tried BIOS resetting.

Motherboard: GA-H61M-D2H

1) open network and sharing center
    2) click change adapter settings
    3) right click on yout internet connection and choose properties and click on Configure
    4) Go to Advanced and Click on Network Address activate Value and enter desired value (no space, lines...)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318]
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780532(v=ws.10).aspx
    -Go to Start -> Run, type regedit to start registry editor. navigate to
    -there will be under this key numbers in sequence as "0000 ", "0001 " .... Click one at a time to check the description of the device to match it with that of your Network Card.
    -Highlight the number that match your network card, in the right pane look for the "NetworkAddress " key value. Right click on it and select modify . Enter the new MAC-Address.
    - If the key "NetworkAddress" is not in the right pane, right click in the blank space, select "New " then "String Value ". Enter the name "NetworkAddress ". Double click on it and set the desired MAC value.

2. MrMike Mann

I expect you should reverse the original process you used to change your MAC since its probably in your Windows registry. When I change a MAC I use Technitium MAC Address Changer ( http://www.softoxi.com/technitium-mac-address-changer.html ) it's free and allows you to easily revert back to the original MAC give it a try it should give you some help.

3. MrMike

I expect your answer would be to reverse your original MAC changing process(Windows registry holds the new MAC). When I change a MAC I use TMACv6.0.3 (www.softoxi.com/technitium-mac-address-changer.html) and it allows for easy reversal.

• Prashant Mirjankar

thanks for yours response
      got to know about new software
      But didn't yet used it because my NIC restored the original MAC as I started the PC in the morning