How can I remotely power on my laptop?

Stefan Yas June 5, 2013

Is there a way (an application, etc)I can Power On my laptop remotely if it’s shut down? The actual act could take place from another computer (pc/mac), or from a mobile phone (iOS/Android). Personally, I do not own a smartphone with iOS or Android, but I do own a mobile with Java support. My chances go with a remote PC or a Mac, but any info would be great, bringing me closer to the solution.

1. Sam Rosario

I used Airytec software if i want to shut on or off my computer when i am away. And once i know that my pc is on i can manage my pc thru Teamviewer. Putting on your pc remotely i am now aware. But this airytec software can put on or off your pc at a give time which you can preset.

How To Setup Wake On LAN Using The MAC Address
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/trigger-wake-lan-mac-address/

How To Turn On Your PC With Your Android Phone Using Wake-On-LAN
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-pc-android-phone-wakeonlan/

3. Prashanth Singh Rathore

To put it simply, NO there is no *easy* way of powering on your laptop without opening the lid as that is the button which tells your computer to turn on. There is a more technical way which you can use to turn on your computer by using the WAKE ON LAN feature on your laptop.

If your laptop comes with "Wake On Lan" on it's network card, you can use another computer to turn on your laptop remotely. However that involves you having another computer on the same network and that machine needs to be turned on so it can send a 'magic packet' to wake up your laptop like turning it on with the power button. But as you can see it's also just as inconvenient as you have to turn on the other computer, then execute a script to turn on your laptop remotely.

A docking station is by far much better as you can connnect all your external components to it and when you take the laptop away, you just undock rather than having to unplug everything. Also the docking station has a power button so you can turn on your laptop without opening the lid. I can't believe that there are actually negative reviews on a docking station? It doesn't do much but just provide a convenient way of connecting all your components together for your laptop. It doesn't really do anything else. It should work fine with a fancy monitor as well. Check that the docking station has the monitor connection that you are using - are you using a VGA cable or DVI cable? Either way, the docking station should have both and it should relay the monitor display to it fine............. If you get the official product for your laptop, it should work and if not, you must have return policy and should be covered under warranty as well.

4. Leland Whitlock

This could work if you don't turn off the computer but put it in sleep mode. Enable Wake-on-LAN using the following article http://windows7-issues.blogspot.com/2011/03/wake-on-lan-wol-for-windows-7-made-easy.html which will then allow the machine to wake up when accessed remotely. Then just use something like TeamViewer and setup the server module on the computer and use the client from the Mac, Linux, Windows, Android or iOS device. With this enabled it will wake up the computer for remote access. When done just put it to sleep again. If you have any issues not covered by the article just Google Wake-on-LAN and you will find lots of good articles on the subject. Good luck.