How can I regain read and write permissions on my Seagate FreeAgent hard drive?

Glen Miller November 28, 2012

I’ve used my 1TB drive on my Mac with Lion, then connected the drive to my PC for some work. When I tried using the FreeAgent drive back to the MacBook I can only read the files; can’t delete files either.

I can read and write when I connect back to the PC, and I even found a way to get to the place to change read/write permission to everybody via the PC. No such luck with the Mac. Can’t find anyway to gain write permission even after changing is on the PC.
Anyone who has had the same problem find a real solution other than saving 880GB off to another drive and reformatting?

All answers to the request for a solution to a very common problem on Mac forum are out-of-date, and do not solve the problem.

1. Nemo

download the free paragon software from the link below. install it in mac. Problem solved -
    http://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/backup-plus-desk/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

2. Abhay Chincholikar

Download "Tuxera NTFS " Software for mac. It Help To read/Write your data directly without affecting your data. Or You can format your HDD with "ExFat" Format . This format support above 4.5 gb file to save on HDD (FAT dose not). Use windows OS to format this.

3. Vivek Kumar Yadav

Did you reformat the drive on your PC. It sounds a lot like your hard drives is now formatted as NTFS which can be read but not altered by Mac OS X.
    Open up Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and select the name of the (external) drive. At the bottom of Disk Utility should be a line like “Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” or “Format: Windows NT Filesystem”.
    If it is NTFS you will have to backup all data on it and reformat it either as HFS+ (cannot be used on Windows) or exFAT.

4. Vivek Kumar Yadav

format it using disk utility...

Hello, is your external drive formatted with NTFS? If it is, that could be one of the reasons for this issue. If you use your external in MAC and windows, the better option would be to format your external with FAT, as this formatting is compatible with both MAC and windows.

Other than that, use the disk utility in MAC to make the changes you need.

6. Ramón García

If it is a NTFS formatted volume you can access it for read and write with some software like Paragon NTFS

7. Macwitty

Mark the drive, select info and change it in the lower part
    MacMost have a nice videotutorial here: http://macmost.com/ignore-ownership-on-external-drives.html

8. Christopher Webb

Yeah, I would try repairing the disk permissions via the the Disk utility first. If that doesn't fix it and the terminal commands don't work check to make sure everything has been formatted properly. Repairing disk permissions via the utility almost always will fix that type of problem.

9. Jan Fritsch

Open up Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and select the name of the (external) drive. At the bottom of Disk Utility should be a line like "Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or "Format: Windows NT Filesystem".

http://www.ehow.com/how_12146690_format-western-digital-external-hard-drive-work-pc-mac.html

Applications --> Utilities --> Disk Utility. Then simply select the drive you want to fix:
    click on the "X" drive, then on the button Repair Disk Permissions
    Wait for finish

In Terminal type the following sequence (obviously replace "Volumename with the name of your volume):

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/Volumename
    sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/Volumename
    sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/Volumename
    sudo chmod -N /Volumes/Volumename

but if your hard drives name includes a [space] like this: "My HD", then you must write the command like this:
    sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
    sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
    sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/firstname\ secondname
    sudo chmod -N /Volumes/firstname\ secondname

• dhanunjayarao chunduri

Yaa It's Great.

11. Rakesh Mishra

just make changes in the properties