How can I refresh Windows 7 IE 10 64-bit version?

Bud Ingersoll June 27, 2013

I downloaded “IE10-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe” tonight. Immediately after starting the installation, I received a failure message stating a newer version was already installed.

I have been getting “IE stopped” messages and want to replace it, but don’t want to reinstall the entire Windows 7 system.

try this microsoft solution
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

2. Jan Fritsch

First I would try resetting Internet Explorer to it's defaults:
    click Start and search for "Internet Options"
    open it, go to the Advanced tab and click "reset"

If that doesn't solve the problem try running without Add-ons:
    click Start and search for "Internet Explorer"
    there should be one result named "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)"

If your IE is working without add-ons the next step would be to disable them within the "Internet Options" Program tab (Manage add-ons).

In a similar fashion if you happen to have a "Internet Explorer" and "Internet Explorer (64-bit)" entry try running the first one which would be 32bit then.

Last but not least, click Start and search for "Programs and Features" and run it
    click "View installed updates" and uninstall all IE updates and finally "Internet Explorer 10". Then reboot your system and try reinstalling IE10

• bud i.

Fritsch – I think I wish I had seen your response before I had read and tried ha14’s solution (the same as your final one). One of your ‘tweaks’ might have solved the problem. After uninstalling IE-10 with the aid of your and ha14’s suggestion, the reinstallation failed. While pursuing the reason for the failure, I read that a requirement for IE-10 is Win 8. I read somewhere, that Win-10 was backward compatible. However, since the uninstall of my ‘problem’ left me with IE-9, I am now running with the latter. So far, with but a little running time, I have had no problems.