How can I reduce the amount of shared graphics memory my laptop uses?

Ishan Gunawardana January 12, 2013

I am using Dell Inspiron n5110 laptop and it has an Intel HD graphics. I also have a dedicated 1GB nVidia card. I tried doing BIOS setup and using some softwares too but still I cannot find a way to reduce shared memory or use the dedicated graphics as my main graphic card.

How can I force my laptop to use the dedicated graphics and reduce the amount of shared graphics memory for the Intel chip?

Thanks.

1. Mihovil Pletikos

it depends on your laptop, but most often with changing settings in BIOS

2. Ahmed Musani

the optimus technoolgy is designed to be intelligent using resources only when required.

You can, through your BIOS make your dedicated graphic card the default. Reducing the memory - tread carefully there pal, you could end up with an unstable system.

• Ishan Gunawardana

There is no option about graphics in BIOS..

• Alan Wade

Click on Advanced Bios Features then scroll down to the bottom. See what the display is in "Init Display First" and click on it to change it accordingly.

see if there is iGPU (integrated Graphics Processing Unit) Frame Buffer, The Frame Buffer size setting allows you to state how much memory is available to the integrated GPU, set the iGPU Frame Buffer Control item to [Manual] then allows
    you to set frame buffer size for onboard GPU

you can disable the onboard graphic card
    Disable Onboard Graphics Card and Install a New Graphics Card
    http://www.whatthetech.com/2009/04/04/disable-onboard-graphics-card-and-install-a-new-graphics-card/

• Jan Fritsch

I don't recommend disabling the IGP using the Device Manager.

Usually when Optimus is at work the rendering is done by the dedicated NVIDIA chip but since the LCD is connected to the IGP the output is performed by that unit. Disabling the IGP may result in a black screen.

5. Jan Fritsch

Your Inspiron is using the NVIDIA Optimus technology which is not designed to (force) use the dedicated graphics card per default. It should only switch to the dedicated card whenever necessary based on performance demand.

You can only (force) enable the dedicated card per application via the NVIDIA control panel in the 3D settings or usually via right-click a "run with graphics processor"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh4HCadTY_A

• Ishan Gunawardana

I did that.. But my shared GPU is using about 1.6GB.. Can I do anything about that.?