How can I reduce the amount of junk mail sent to my email address?

MerVzter B May 5, 2013

Regarding to my email, one way of how I check my email if I subscribe on some website is if they keep on sending me newsletter or some sort. Now, way back when I used my email for the first time, I subscribed on some websites and I forgot now since it’s inactive already. In short, at this moment I’m receiving lots of junk emails. I want them to be removed or stop. Any advice from you guys will be much appreciated. Thanks!

1. MerVzter B

sorry for the late reply guys, its been so busy this week... i tried some of those suggestion specially filtering process and also unroll.me but the fact is there is some particular subscription that even i unsubscribe already they still sending me some junk email.. and filtering process doesn't really works for me in fact even i filtered them they are still unwanted email. making a new one is probably my choice this time ..

2. MerVzter B

thank you to all of you guys, i learned a lot from each of you, although i can't reply each of your response but i'm so glad to know your experience as well.. thank you very much

if you wish you can tell us which method you used to fix the problem, this can be valuable information for all. Good luck?

• Tina Sieber

Thank you for the feedback, MerVzter!

As ha14 said, it would be great if you could report back what approach worked best for you in the end. you can also pick a best answers from the replies above.

3. Harsh Sharma

Create filters to automatically delete the emails from particular sender.

4. Chanuka Fernando

unsubscribe from what page you dont want emails from and if you try that and failed only thing to do is get a new email address

5. Rob H

Do as already advised, unsubscribe BUT only from legitimate organisations. If you hit the unsubscribe link in a message which is spam then doing so tells the spammer that your email address is actively read so they'll send you even more spam. Best way to unsubscribe from what appear to be legitimate mailings is to do it through the relevant organisation's web site.

Unfortunately many legitimate organisations disregard unsubscribe requests or ask you to log in with your original and long forgotten details. So if you keep getting the junk after a few days tag the mail as spam, your email system should "learn" your preferences.

In reality spam is a fact of life and unstoppable, all you can do is get good spam filtering in place. In my experience Gmail spam filtering is better than many of the expensive commercial alternatives from reputable organisations.

It is important to understand that no automated spam filter will ever be 100% effective, you will alsways get some "bad" mail flagged as "good". Worse than that is that some "good" will be flagged as "bad" so you may miss some important mail. Even Gmail does get it wrong occasionally , if it can't be sure a message is spam it will allow it into my inbox. I check my Gmail spam folder once a day, it only takes a couple of seconds as most is very obvious spam but very occasionally I do have to rescue a message.

If anyone ever tells you that they never get spam because their filters (or their mail service provider's) are so good then you can be certain the filters are too aggressive and will be marking some legitimate mail as spam too.

Another way to deal with spam is to filter it yourself. Firetrust Mailwasher is a very effective tool to let you do that. In its basic form it has quite good default and "learning" capabilities but if need be you can add very elaborate filters and tweak the sensitivity to the various factors it uses to assess messages.

Mailwasher is a good fix where you have a major spam problem but give consideration to changing your email address too. That might need to be a long term strategy, if you tell people you've changed address most will take no notice so expect to need to run old and new accounts in parallel for a year or more. Be very protective of your new account, I have a "close friends and family only" account, another for more routine use and a third for places that demand my email address but I don't really want to hear from them.

• Rob H

WARNING: I suggested using Mailwasher. There are unauthorised download sites that will dump some unwanted and very annoying software on your PC, the legitimate source is: http://www.firetrust.com/

6. Nikita

Most of the newsletters have the "unsubscribe" link hidden somewhere in them (usually at the bottom in small font), so if there are not that many services that send you junk mail you can just go through the newsletters and do that (once for each service). If this is unavailable, try logging on to these websites and finding an "unsubscribe" or "deactivate account" button in the settings. I'd also recommend setting up a "Junk mail" account that you'd use for subscribing to services that you're not likely to use or just need a one-time access. There are many websites that provide temporary emails, like Guerrilla Mail ( https://www.guerrillamail.com ), just google a bit.

Usually the unsubscribe button or the deactivate button is invitation for more spam mails as then the spammers becomes sure that the mentioned email ID certainly exist and been used.

Use this service, has been useful for me at least. https://unroll.me/

However, this is only applicable for GMail or Yahoo.

If you do not use GMail or Yahho, then look into this solution : http://www.arclab.com/products/amlc/

• MerVzter B

thank you for the reply, i tried it but there is some subscription that is not detected.

Most spam protection is based on the idea that the spam was not requested. In this case, you are getting mail which you don't want, but which you DID agree to receive, and this makes things more complex.
    To begin with, you can try to unsubscribe! Legitimate operators will respond to that. Secondly, if you use a computer-based email client (e.g. Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Mac Mail), use the built in spam filters and the "black list" (only some clients have that) to block spams.
    If this is not sufficient, I'd suggest getting a new email address (GMail, Oulook.com and Yahoo all have excellent spam filters). When you do subscribe to a site, add their name to the address as an alias (for example, if you address is MerVzter.B@gmail.com and you subscribe to amazon, give out the address MerVzter.B+amazon@gmail.com). This will arrive to the same mailbox, but you will be able to know which subscription it came from so if you get this from some other company, you'll know that amazon gave them your address (unlikely with Amazon, but you get the idea). You can also create filters to delete those messages automatically if required.
    Finally, avoid giving out your email address e.g. by posting it on a web page. Many spammers "harvest" addresses from web pages such as forums (they do this using "bots" - automatic software rather than by looking at pages themselves). The less you expose your address, the better. If necessary, create an additional address for the purpose and check mail there occasionally rather than advertise your main email address.

• MerVzter B

i learned something new from your reply sir and much appreciated..

Clear Out Your Inbox: Quickly Unsubscribe From Multiple Newsletters With These Tools
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/clear-inbox-quickly-unsubscribe-multiple-newsletters-tools/

10. DalSan M

You can go to http://unroll.me to try to unsubscribe from multiple spam email lists. You should probably have at least one other email address to use as well. I have a multipurpose email, a business email, and a junk email address. The junk email address that I have I use to sign up or subscribe to different things, knowing that mostly junk will go to that email. The business email is only for friends, family, and business contacts so I know that mostly important emails I have to look at can be found easily abd without much spam involved. The multipurpose email is used for general use, in which I get more important subscription emails and occasional email from friends and family that email less important things. More tips can be found here: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/how-can-i-unsubscribe-from-mailing-lists-and-reduce-the-amount-of-unwanted-email-i-am-getting/

• Scott Kupferman

Unroll.me has probably saved me a 8 - 10 hours per week. It is an amazing tool, coupled with https://mailstrom.co/ for some inbox analysis and Mailbox for iOS, my email has never been easier to manage.

11. Manide

Hi,

Simply unsubscribe to those newsletters you don't want to get anymore. If this option is unavailable, mark the messages as spam.

• MerVzter B

yea i done this which is work sometimes because some of this newsletter when i click the unsubscribe button it turn out as dead link.. thanks

12. Ira Tozer

The best thing to do is get a new email address.

• MerVzter B

hi, thats my last choice if ever but i like my current email address thats why im looking for some ways than making a new one.. thanks