How can I recover my pictures after performing a factory reset?
Question by Peggy K /

How can I recover pictures? Recently I had to reboot to manufacture level, Windows 7. I forgot to back-up my pictures. I heard even tho a clean reboot has taken place unlease a ‘wipe’ is completed….somehow, someway I should be able to retrieve what I want?

• Tsf O

There lot of software that allow you to recover deleted file, I recommend easus data recovery free version can be downloaded from here: http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Data-Recovery-Wizard-Free-Edition/3000-2248_4-75184619.html

• Saumyakanta S

forget those pictures …. You are doomed..

• Phill D

You can using some effective data recovery software but there are less chances due to over written condition but still you should try at least once. Using demo version of Kernel for Windows Data Recovery Software you can check the existence of your data and files on your computer which is restored to factory settings.

• Indepent

Well, I know some good software you could use, but some of it is for purchase only.
    For recovering all the data from the formatted HDD you could use’ QueTek File Scavenger’ – it is best in recovering any data from your HDD. Also Kroll Ontrack is good enough, but is a bit better when you use it on your SSD or SD memory card. If you use SSD drive, just keep in mind that on the most models you are not able to recover ANY data, just bacause your OS send s TRIM command while deleting file instead of just mark the file as deleted and keep it (when using simple HDD).

If you want free software only, I could suggest you Piriform Recuva (from CCleaner DevTeam). Unfortunately, I can not give you any recommendations or other suggestions on that product exactly, just because I never used it.

All in all I would say that Kroll Ontrack is best with USB drives (same as SSD) and SD memory cards (microSD as well); QueTek File Scavenger could perfectly fit as the main tool for recovering data from formatted hard. And as the conclusion – you also will not be able to recover files from your drive if they were overwritten, simply speaking if you have already used your hard again after format operation.

• Fred M

Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery will do the trick.

• Bruce E

Most of the time, a manufactuer reset of a machine does 2 things: a quick format of the OS partition followed by applying the saved WIM image in the recovery partition to the boot drive (essentially ‘imagex /apply D:install.wim C:). The quick format is the part that will hurt as it completely wipes out the existing MFT (and its backup), so all of the index information for file locations on the drive will no longer be there. Because of that, the only way to recover it is with software that will scan all unallocated space and try to reconstruct everything else from there. Also, ano further use of the drive may be destroying what you wish to recover, so it needs to be done from different boot media (a specially made recovery CD/DVD).

well if hard drive was formatted and overwritten then will be difficult to retrieve deleted files

Recover Accidentally Deleted Files From Any OS With PhotoRec [Windows, Mac, & Linux]
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/recover-accidentally-deleted-files-from-any-os-with-photorec-windows-mac-linux/

if windows created windows.old file in the root of the hard drive containing windows os then perhaps you can get files from there.