How can I recover my deleted text message from iPhone 5?
Question by Hanly Jue /

I got an iPhone 5 and stored some important text message on it. I deleted them by accident. Is there any app or method to get them back?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Kristin McKenna

If you have back up your text messages, you can restore from the backup.
    To restore information from a backup, use one of the following methods after connecting your iOS device to the computer with which you normally sync:
    1. Right-click (or Control-click) the device and choose Restore from Backup
    2. If you have a new phone, you can connect to iTunes and it will prompt to restore from your backup
    Solution from

If you have no backup for your data on iPhone, iPhone data recovery software is your last shot! I used iPhone 5 Text Message Recovery and it worked well. It’s easy to use. Just a few clicks you can get all your data back. Here is a step by step guide for you:

• Sandra Alan

I happen to know a method which may help you solve your problem, you can have a look:

It can recover deleted text messages from iPhone in an easy way, you only need to take few steps! Hope this will help you!

• Aimee V

1. Hi, there. Do you have a backup, that is, have you ever synced your iPhone with iTunes or iCoud? If yes, you can resotore your iPhone text messages from the backup.

As a matter of fact, as long as you didn’t disable the automatic sync option in iTunes, iTunes will create a backup for you everytime you plug your iPhone to PC with iTunes installed on. However, I will tell you the iTunes and iCloud restore:

Restore from iTunes backup:

Step 1: Connect your iPhone to the PC/Mac
    Step 2: Open iTunes
    Step 3: Click on Devices tab
    Step 4: Right-click on the iPhone that’s connected and click ‘Backup’
    Step 5: Note that this will effectively remove all old information on your iPhone and get the backup data on your iPhone. If you had backed up sms too in your previous iTunes backup, those will be restored to the iPhone and you should mostly recover that deleted sms messages now.

Restore from iCloud:

1. Login to with your Apple ID and password
    2. Click on Text Messages
    3. Search your SMS to check if the deleted/lost messages (from your iPhone) is still visible here
    If yes, you can now recover that lost text messages easily.

Step 1: Go to Settings -> iCloud on your iPhone
    Step 2: Turn off Text Messages (if it’s not turned off already)
    Step 3: When the popup message comes up, press ‘Keep on My iPhone’
    Step 4: Now, turn ON the text messages again and tap “Merge”; wait for a while
    Step 5: After sometime, you should see the deleted sms back on your iPhone
    Step 6: In case this doesn’t work, all you do is delete your iCloud account (but keep all data) and then re-add the iCloud account by logging in with your Apple ID and password
    Step 7: Merge all data and wait for a while. After sometime, iCloud will have merged all sms to your iPhone and the deleted one should be back!

What if you never have an iPhone backup anywhere, you can use a third-party utility to complete your iPhone text messages recovery. Say, Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery is one to recover text messages from iPhone without backup. It is said to be working well and reliably. If needed, download the free trial tool from:

• M C

Not sure whether at all you can recover text messages from iPhone which you already deleted by any other means but by restoring your iPhone from a previous iTunes backup.

Apart from keeping a recent backup of my iPhone via iTunes, I back up my messages separately to my computer as described here:

It is possible to keep a backup of other iphone data in the same way although I am primarily interested in having a safe backup of my texts and contacts.

• Mike Henderson

If you “Synced” your phone to iTunes and/or backup to the cloud, you may be able to recover your texts. I use a program called Decipher Text (Windows and Mac) that will take the text messages from the backup and allow you to restore them and/or back them up to an external application. I use MS Excel to save my important texts.

Good Luck

• Zamira

Try to use MiniTool Power Data Recovery Mac version to recover your lost message.

• Patrick J

Well, no, you cannot recover them. But it is always a better idea to keep it synced so that you can recover them.

if you made backup on itunes you can use a software to recover the text
    iOS: How to back up and restore your content

Import contacts from iPhone to SIM card via iTunes

perhaps disk aid can help you to get /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db.
    How To Save and Read Your iPhone Text Messages On Your Computer
    then you can export to csv

Dekart SIM Manager

total saver

iphone backup extractor

Undelete SMS Hack to Recover Deleted Text Message on iPhone

• JackMi

iPhone Backup Extractor is good but you can’t use it to restore messages back to your iPhone. I googled and found another program called Backuptrans iTunes Backup Extractor. It provides an easy way to recover and restore SMS Messages, Contacts, calendar events, notes, bookmarks from iTunes Backup back to your iPhone or even to a new iPhone. Worked for my iPhone 4S. Worth to have a try.