How can I recover data and install Windows if none of my hard disk drives are shown?

muneeza rai March 2, 2013

My hard disk stopped showing any drives. I tried to install new Windows, but that was not possible because not even a single drive is showing. No drives are shown, can#t access my important data!

Can anyone help me in getting data in lost drives?

1. Siu PoNing

Have you check in BIOS? Or you can check the device managment in "my computer"( right click), if you still can't see the hard drive patition , I think there is something wrong with your computer's hard drive, you have to ask professionnal service for help. if you need to recover data from hard drive, know more here: hard drive data recovery on Windows

2. reha andrew

First connect the drive to other PC or laptop check whether its visible there or not. If visible back up all the data. If not check the cable connection whether its fine or not. If not change the cable. The last option is that try a data recovery software to recover your data.

3. Donald Schultz

Take the HD to another computer and put it in there to see if you can see on there, if you can then you probably should try changed the SATA cable for the HD. If you cannot see it on another machine then I suggest putting it back into your pc, boot to a live Linux cd and search for your files and transfer them over to an external HD.

Hello, just to troubleshoot your issue, do you have another computer available? If you do, you could connect the harddrive/hardrives to this other computer and see if they are recognized there. If they are not, chances are there is some failure with them.

5. Hanry Bob

Don't need to worry about data loss, because we provide one of the easiest and easy to affordable hard drive recovery tool to recover Windows data as fast as possible..Just this link - http://www.seoclick.com/tools/hard-drive-data-recovery.html

http://www.ntfsdatarecoverysoftware.com/

6. Rahul Patil

If you can't see your one or more partition in My Computer, Then click on Start button and Right click on the Computer, then click on Manage . Click on Disk Management under Storage. There you will find the missing partition. Right Click on the Partition which is not visible in My Computer. Then Click on the Change Drive Letter and Paths... Give a letter you prefer. Then missing Partition will shown up.

7. dragonmouth

muneeza rai,
    Have you tried the HD in another PC? If not, then do it.

If the HD is not recognized by the BIOS on another PC, you either throw out the HD or pay the money to recover your data professionally.

8. Carlos Chi

It's probably a hardware problem... The hard drive might be damage, it would be best to back up ur important data by using a bootable flash drive or a live cd like Hiren....

Do you have one physical HDD partitioned into several drives? If Bios detects drive, MBR or partition table maybe damaged. Boot from Windows install disk, select repair option and run disk repair.

O people, some one help me. drive is undetectable, no disk found on any system. Should I break the HD? Is it of no use now?

• Jim Chambers

You never told us if drive is detected in Bios. If its a Sata drive try a different cable and port. Some Sata drives have jumpers that allow you to decrease data rate.

• Qin Tang

Some third party software like Power Data Recovery can recover the lost data which can be detectable, and for your case, I'm afraid you have to take it to the data restore service.

@ Jim Chambers: Drive is not detected in Bios. It is sata drive, I have used usb-sata cable as well as plugged HD inside CPU as main drive, but no success, its undetectable.
      @ Qin Tang: Data restore service is so expensive, do you know what is the procedure they use? Can I do
      it at home

• Carlos Chi

or u can also use recuva.. A free ware but powerfull software

• Jim Chambers

The data recovery service will first try to determine if drive failure is due to a component failure on drives circuit board. If you can get an exact match for this board, replacing your board with it is fairly easy. You may need a special set of small screwdrivers of phillips (+) or torx (*) type. Disconnect drive from computer and remove 5 or 6 screws on board, remove bad board and install replacement board. Connect drive and boot computer. Look on EBay for replacement board. Good Luck

10. Dhaval Patel

nothing to worry... first it is necessary that hard disk is shown in BIOS.....than start the PC using bootable CD of xp or win 7... than go to system repair option and try to brows your current hard disk..... connect the usb hard disk to PC and copy that data....simple...

Disk is not detected by other systems, Data retrievers demand a lot of money, If they can found the data, there must be a way to do so, why can't I adopt that way?

• Muo TechGuy

Because they take the disc apart physically, and use powerful and expensive machinery to recover the data.

But this isn't a big issue, because you took backups. Right? If not, good life lesson.

After checking connections and tips suggested here by others,you can try exploring the files using Linux live CD as they are savior in such cases.You can boot from Live CD or USB and then recover data from HDD.

Using Parted magic -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/parted-magic-complete-hard-drive-toolbox-live-cd/

Using Ubuntu Live CD -

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15761/recover-data-like-a-forensics-expert-using-an-ubuntu-live-cd/

Is the hard drive visible in the BIOS settings? If not, no other operating system or software will help you. Check all physical connections and see if it appears in BIOS. You can also put the drive in another system to see if it is a problem with the drive controller.

If the Windows installer did not "see" your drives, then it's probably a hardware issue, and the most common cause for this, by a long shot, is a loose contact! Open the computer, unplug the hard disc and plug it back in, and try again. This may be all you need to do!
    Another possibility is that the BIOS settings for the disc went awry, but it's impossible to give specific instructions here on how to resolve it since there are too many variables.

you can try on another windows, or mac or linux to see if it is detected.

if your problem is hardware then windows software cannot help you, you have to check some companies and get suitable deal with them.

or you can buy the same hard drive then replace components to make your hard drive working again.