How can I recover an XP partition lost uninstalling Ubuntu?

shrinidhi March 16, 2015

How can I recover a Windows XP drive partition lost after uninstalling Ubuntu?

I have a Windows XP (SP2) desktop with 4 partitions C:14 GB ; D: 14 GB ;E: 55 GB; F: 55 GB; (approximate size).

I had installed Ubuntu 10.04 by creating space for it using existing disk partition (as guided by the installer).

Two new partitions were created by the installer (one with 10GB and the other 500MB) which didn’t have any name like Windows partitions (ex: c,d,e,f).
So, in the disk management, I could see two unnamed partitions and 4 Windows partitions (C,D,E,F). Using Dual Boot I was able to use both Windows and Ubuntu.

Recently I wanted to uninstall Ubuntu , so followed steps given in the Internet.

As guided, I went to Disk Management, right clicked on the first unnamed partition (which belonged to Ubuntu) and then clicked “Delete Volume”.

According to the tutorial only that particular partition should have been deleted.
But both my E and F drives disappeared including the other unnamed partition of Ubuntu. Now I can see only C drive (14GB) and D drive (14GB) and another partition which is seen as “120 GB free space” .

I lost both E and F drives where I had stored most of my data. I badly want the data back. Please help.

Also, I don’t have a Windows installation CD and I’m getting screen which shows GRUB rescue in the command prompt when I start my computer.

Just when I found out I lost 2 of the drives I shut down my computer.

When I started it again I got the GRUB rescue screen and have not been able to login since then.

Here’s a screenshot of what I’m looking at:

How can I recover an XP partition lost uninstalling Ubuntu? ySZd9 XsFkvL gpJKA2sVw

The above screen shows up when I start my PC and “120GB free space” instead of E and F drives in the Disk Management.

In My Computer I can see only C and D drives.

1. Cobblepot

what do you want to recover ? the opera system or just the data ? if you want to recover a data, then just find a recovery soft in Google. (Ed.note: be careful of the crap that will result in one of these searches.)
    if you want to recover your XP, then it is quite a trouble to do that, why don't you just make it simply, save the files you need and install the new OS. why not Win 7 or 8? or even give win10 beta a try?

With Windows XP, you are restricted to using MBR partitioned disks only. This means that there are only 4 entries for the partition table so you could have up to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition. The extended partition is just a pointer in the partition table to another partition table that can hold an additional 127 logical partitions. To be useful, the extended partition must have at least 1 partition defined in it.

Your original configuration must have had 2 primary partitions (C & D) and 1 extended partition containing the logical partitions E & F. After installing Ubuntu, you had 2 more logical partitions that were added to the extended partition (a swap partition and another ext4 which held all of your Ubuntu files.

The bad news is what you deleted must have been the extended partition. You can still recover this, but you will need to be able to get your system to boot first. For this purpose, you will need to get your hands on a Windows XP with SP2 CD. Boot from that and enter the Recovery Console by pressing R at the Welcome to Setup screen. Select the (only) Windows installation it finds. Next type 'fixmbr' (without quotes) and press Enter. When that command completes, type 'fixboot' (again, without quotes) and press Enter. Now, type 'exit' and press Enter. This will quit the recovery console and reboot the computer.

Once you can boot into Windows properly, download and install EaseUS Partition Manager or a similar tool to perform a recovery operation on the deleted extended and its contained logical partitions by following the guides in their help files.

check the lost partition with partition find and mount in hirens boot cd
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
    http://findandmount.com/

Recover Accidentally Deleted Files From Any OS With PhotoRec [Windows, Mac, & Linux]
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/recover-accidentally-deleted-files-from-any-os-with-photorec-windows-mac-linux/