How can I recover a hard drive (partition) I lost after installing Windows 7?

phogey2 May 3, 2013

I was still running Windows Vista even though I had Windows 7 & it was getting dusty. I have 2 hard drives on my HP & partition w/HP restore. Now it only sees the sm hd & the partition.

I’m just guessing it’s a pt, not truly sure. It will show up on something now & then, but I want access, darn the thing’s empty now. I did a full or clean install. I can’t access a lot.

Could you help PLEASE? Thanks in advance.

Love this site, you all do a great job. I tell everyone about MakeUseOf. Oh, my points aren’t working .

Hello, I have used Active Partiton recovery successfully to recover deleted partitions. You could try downloading the free version and see what it can recover. Free version has some limitations. Your best bet is to get paid version. Here is the link:

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

2. Mark mohan

Kernel for Windows data recovery utility that can assist you in retrieving all your important lost data without facing any further complexity.

3. Vishal Srivastava

If you accidentally deleted your partition, you must use some recovery tool to get it most data back. Note- not all data can come back as a deleted partition would mean free memory to the computer and would eventually be overwritten. However, this tool- http://www.piriform.com/recuva should allow you to recover complete or part of the files that you've lost and restore them (depending on whether they've been overwritten or not.
    Also, why didn't you make a backup before doing anything that could damage your partition. Do us a favor and make a backup now.

4. Degenerated S

use this software --- EASEUS Partition Manager Pro link -- http://www.partition-tool.com/professional.htm

5. reha andrew

To recover your data you can simply use a partition recovery software. You will get this software in both free and paid version.

6. Ashik Salim

During the installation of windows 7 it might have created a 100 mb system reserved partition. This holds data related to the partition tables and in many cases results in losing partitions when you reinstall. This had happened to me once and I was able to recover my data using a live cd version of easeus data recovery.

7. Nick Sharma

As mentioned by Susendeep give a try to easeus partition recovery. In the future, I recommend you backup your data before doing such things.

Assuming you are referring to a primary hard drive that originally contained 2 partitions (boot/OS and HP recovery), you may be able to recover the HP recovery partition after a clean install of any other OS if the partition was pushed all the way to the end of the disk (some will put it at the end and others will put it at the begining). In this case, tools from EaseUS or Paragon Software Group can normally restore it. If the partition was placed at the beginning of the drive, it will not be recoverable since Win7 tends to repartition the drive it is being installed on to have a single partition for everything, then seems to do a quick format before it begins installing its files. Since a recovery partition is so small, it is completely overwritten during the installation of Win7 if it existed at the start of the hard disk and cannot be recovered.

• Jim Chambers

I've never had Windows 7 change the HDD partitions and it always installs in the partition I select for a clean install. It divides the partition into a very small one for its own use and the main root partition.

There are two solutions for this -

Using TestDisk

or using a software called - Easeus Data recovery Wizard which has a partition recovery menu to recover a lost partition.

see if partition find and mount will detect lost partition
    http://findandmount.com/