How can I read .PDF files bound to educational software?

Shabbir Khan November 7, 2012

I bought a educational CD for my son, contains some PDF file which have useful information and would like to back up. These PDF file are read only and can be read only using the application. Neither I can open them nor copy them in windows explorer/Acrobat/Nuance/Foxit.

I have tried ISO Buster/PDF converter are not successful as the file cannot be read or opened directly.

1. filepuma

just try PDF-XChange Viewer, which you can download from these links:

2. Rakesh Mishra

use foxit reader to read the pdf files. it is free available over internet download it install and use it

3. josemon maliakal

check out the installation directories ..there will be the source

Make an ISO image of the CD and save it on your HDD. Then use an app like WinISO to mount the image so you can view .pdf files using your reading app.

5. Naveen Kumar

since you have told bought an CD if its original it may have copy write protected content in it.So that only you can not copy these files on to your system

6. Nikhil Chandak

convert it into Word & then try

7. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Can you print it? If you can, then you can use PDF printer to reprint the PDF into one you can read normally. If it doesn't work you'll need something to lift the restrictions.

• Douglas Mutay

Your idea seems to be the best especially if the application allows him to print.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

There's also another option using tools like fscapture that allows you to grab a screenshot of a whole window, like what you were suggesting.

• Douglas Mutay

Yes, I am using myself Greenshot. A very good app for screenshot that has region, windows and fulscreen mode and an image editor as well. check it here:

8. Douglas Mutay

What is the name of the application that read these files? Maybe they are looking like pdf but are not actually pdf files. The other option would be for you to open them in full screen and do screenshot that you can save as picture file. These picture can be easily converted in pdf and joined in one document...long process, I admit, but...

perhaps you need to use PDF Restriction Removal tools

10. Dhaval Patel

CD may have option of auto playing. So, you have to open CD directly by right click on CD icon in my computer and than browse to those pdf file. Also if you can open that file in adobe reader than you can print it on page or print it to pdf or xps format you can use these for your backup or when you open the file in adobe reader you will have option to save a copy of that file.

11. Aniket Singh
    • Boni Oloff

I think you give link to the Adobe Reader. I think he cannot use it to read the PDF File.

12. Benjamin Tiessen

I suggest you get the free version of faststone capture 5.3 which you can download from these links:

Faststone capture will allow you to take high quality screenshots of the PDF which you can save and backup somewhere safe.

PDF's are always a pain to work with.
    As a last resort, you could install the free 30 day trial of Adobe Acrobat Pro and see if you can edit the PDF from there.

Good luck1

First things first: make sure they are Adobe PDF files. Open one of the files in a hex editor or notepad and see if it starts with '%PDF-1.x' where x is a value between 0 and 7 (most likely 7). If it is a valid Adobe PDF file, it will start with that string. If it doesn't, then you have another file format that is specific to the software in question that happens to share the same file extension.