How can I put email addresses in a group so sending a single email forwards the email to all people in the group?

Drsunil V July 22, 2013

How to group email ids in such a way that one can send email to group by create custom id?

I like to send emails to multiple emails. But instead of making a group through Gmail interface of contacts, I would like to group them online and then set a new single email id to which when I send an email then the email reaches all the emails of group

1. Justin Pot

This is exactly what Google Groups does, so look into that. Just pay attention to the security settings when you're setting things up, or everything will be public.

• Sunil

Your answer is one of most correct acc to what s asked

Pl note as pointed earlier on this page : In addition that I would like to use similar to Google Groups wherein if you send email to the Group's email then all Group members would receive email if they have subscribed to each message which would therefore nullate Google groups as the answer

Also Google groups do not allow non-Gmail using contacts to be added
      Another feature which is against the question is that Google groups can be used only if the contacts add themselves to group if I am right

• Justin Pot

Yeah, anything like this is going to be opt-in for the people receiving the email – it's a spam avoidance thing. It would be really sketchy to do this any other way, and as someone who gets a lot of pitches from marketing people I'm glad nothing like this exists.

People can join Google Groups with any email address, not just Gmail, FYI.

If this doesn't work for you I'm not sure what will. Are you trying to send out a regular email to a group? I can think of other solutions but all depend on the other parties opting in. No way around so far as I know.

• Drsunil V

Can you pl weblink Google help supporting your mentioning "People can join Google Groups with any email address, not just Gmail" ?

• Justin Pot

Here's how to add and remove members as an admin.

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/2465464?hl=en

New users will need to opt in.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for link

Does the "add directly" ( as mentioned in the link ) add users without them having to subscribe and they would begin receiving the group posts?

Can you also pl weblink "whether or not" non-Gmail users can be also "added directly"

So you are looking for a different way to mimic the already available Group functionality by using an additional email address instead of an email group? The only way I could see that happening is to use a remailer, but a group would still need to be set up there.

• Sunil

You understood correct

I have looked into the feature of remailer concept

Pl note : In addition that I would like to use similar to Google Groups wherein if you send email to the Group's email then all Group members would receive email if they have subscribed to each message which would therefore nullate Google groups as the answer

What you want is called a "group" (or in other contexts, a "distribution list"),
    1. In GMail, go into the contact list (click on the arrow next to the red "GMail" and choose "Contacts").
    2. Put a tick mark against the names of those you want to add to the group.
    3. Next to the "New Contact" button there will now appear a "Group" button. It is meant to look like a number of heads over a pair of wide shoulders... Click it!
    4. As this is a new group, click "Create New" to name the group, and click OK. If you ever want to add addresses to the group, follow steps 1-3, then simply choose the group from the menu.

• Sunil

Not group in Gmail but a recipient email which points to multiple email ids ( even to non-Gmail ids )

• Oron J

DR Sunil, looking at your responses to the other answers, I think there is some confusion. First of all, GMail groups can contain any addresses, not just GMail ones. GMail groups are NOT the same as Google Groups or Google+ Circles, they are just a way of bunching together addresses so the sender can send messages to all the people in the group in one go, rather than select them individually.
      Secondly, if you want the RECIPIENTS to subscribe, and a "remailer" as you call it, then you are really talking about using a LIST SERVER. This is a service where the list owner (you, presumably) can set up a "list" which is normally associated with a special interest group or subject, and messages sent to the list are bounced to all members. There are different types of list, ones where everyone can contribute, and others where only the moderator (that'll be you) can send messages, much like the MUO newsletter. The most well known software for this is LISTSERV and MAJOR DOMO, but you'll need to look for a site that allows you to set up your own list, as I don't know of any.
      However, if you are the only sender, then you can use MAIL CHIMP, which will allow you to set up a list, allow recipients to subscribe (or you can add them) and has many other features. The only thing it won't do is to allow everyone in the group to contribute.

• Drsunil V

Pl note : something like fb groups where you can add frns without them having to subscribe to group and not restricted to a gmail id

group them online??? Gmail is online?

maybe can do what you want when is launched
    https://launch.unifiedinbox.com

• Sunil

Pl note that question is not about only grouping gmail contacts

But to enable sending email to grouped contacts by sending an email to a single email id ( which would acts as a reresentative of group's multiple emails , maybe on cloud storage and NOT the group name as when contacts are grouped in Gmail )

Something like Google Groups wherein when you send emall to the group's email id every person in group receives but in Google Groups it can be sent only to those who have joined group and also not to non-gmail using contacts