How can I prove an iPhone had been stolen?

November 22, 2013

Wonder if you can help. My son had an iPhone 4S (phone 1) stolen in France, reported it to phone company, they supplied new phone (no 2) & new SIM. After 7 days it stopped working, rang phone company who sent courier to collect phone 2 and replace with phone 3. Four weeks later debited £480 from bank saying that we had returned phone 1 as faulty and thus we had phone 2 in our possession and we had been fraudulent. Many phone calls and emails now going to county court they “saying that they can prove that we had been fraudulent”. This has now been going on 9 months, we don’t believe our son has done anything wrong and the phone company says that their systems cannot be challenged!!! IMEI numbers have been read and that’s it!!! Can anybody give any advice what to ask phone company or how to challenge them it seems to be a David & Goliath situation….. thank you.

I agree with Jan. It's not clear to me on what basis your provider replaced the original (stolen) phone. Can you elaborate on that please?

So, your son got a new phone from the service provider since his was stolen. Did you pay for this replacement? Because why would the provider replace a stolen phone? I don't know any provider covering this within warranty and rarely within some phone insurance (if you actually got one)

With the little detail I can read out of this story I would say your service provider assumed phone 1 needed a replacement duo to damage and sent you phone 2. Then you sent back phone 2 duo to real damage and got phone 3.

You got 2 replacement phones in total but only returned 1 ~ from a warranty perspective you owe your provider 1 phone so they debited the costs of the phone (£480) from your account.

So the only way I can see this turning into your favor is:
    (a) You have prove that the stolen phone was replaced duo to some insurance free of charge
    (b) You can prove that your provider agreed to replace the stolen phone free of charge.

3. dragonmouth

Hire a lawyer. In the long run it may save you money.

if your son installed dropbox on his iphone 1 and sync was automatic then looking to the ip address can prove the last location of the iphone.
    Go to Dropbox account online. Select Settings and click on the Security tab. Find the stolen iphone and hover your mouse over the blue info icon next to Most Recent Activity to see the IP address.
    http://www.liveipmap.com/
    http://geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm
    Keep in mind that they can spoof the IP address using hide my IP services.

5. Alan W

The best advice that I can offer you is to contact a Consumer Advice Forum in your country. If you are in the UK this is the address: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/index.php
    If not then search for it in your own language. They are best equipped to help you as they deal with hundreds of problems like this everyday.