How can I protect a portable hard drive against malware?

July 4, 2013

I’ve purchased a 500GB portable hard drive. I want to protect it against malware, what do I have to do? Is there any software and if so, please tell me how to install it? Can I get a free antivirus for it?

As others have said, you are dependent on the security measures on the computers you connect the drive to. If you connect to many different computers, epecially ones that are not yours, I suggest:
    1. Have a second copy of all the important files on the disc (you should do this anyway, in fact, s**t happens!)
    2. Scan the disc periodically when connected to your PC.

Your current amtivirus and antimalware software you have installed should be configured to automatically protect any drives you have attached to your system, especially if they employ on-access scanning rather than simply on-demand scanning.

If you are planning on attaching it to more than just your own systems, you have to trust the other systems and their administrators since attaching it to unknown systems will always present a risk. If a foreign system is infected, even disabling autorun on your portable drive won't stop it from being infected by whatever haunts the host machine.

3. Lisa Santika O

Turn off autoplay if you haven't. Create a blank text file named autorun.inf and place it at the root of your drive. There are several portable antimalware you might be interested in, for example portable SAS and Malwarebytes AntiMalware.
    Download links:
    MalwareBytes AntiMalware (portable X version)-http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/SYDGC4A9/MBAMPortable_1.75.paf.exe_links
    portable SAS-http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

• Bruce E

Disabling autoplay and creating a blank autorun.inf will only help to prevent the portable device from infecting another machine, not the other way around.

• Lisa Santika O

Thank you for the clarification, Bruce.