How can I protect a folder while my PC is being upgraded, and remove the protection afterwards?

Alexis C May 10, 2013

Hello

I’m about to update my PC (motherboard, RAM and processor) and I don’t want my technician to look at my private files while my hard drive (and the rest of the PC) is with him. So, I’m looking for a way to password protect a folder from my drive so that he can’t enter. I will need to unlock it (make it a normal folder again) when I get my PC back (with new Windows, etc).

Is it possible to do the same with an external hard drive?

I read that many people recommend a program called TrueCrypt but I don’t know if it can full-fill my needs.

Thank you!

I tend to agree with Alan and Jim in that for a major upgrade you really need an external backup (what would happen if the upgrade went awry?). That said, you can use a folder hider such as "free folder hider" (which requires a password before showing protected folders), create a password-protected zip file of the folder, or use a utility such as that recommended by Rajaa (there are plenty of others as well).

If the file(s) is not too big, burn them to a disc and securely delete them from your hard drive.

• Alexis C

100 GB XD .. thank you

• Alexis C

THANK YOU! WInMend Folder Hidden was the tool I was looking for. The files keep hidden when you plug your USB in another computer and you and you can restore them in a different PC witht he password you used to originally lock the Files.

glad that is working for you, if you wish to close the thread as solved, choose the best answer from your makeuseof account. Good luck:)

Since you're replacing most of computer components have a new HDD installed as well and remove your HDD before you take computer to your tech. Once upgraded you can install the old drive back in your computer or transfer files to the new HDD.

• dragonmouth

If you do that isn't Windows going to complain about different hardware being present, especially if the O/S is installed on the HD you're swapping out?

• Alexis C

oh, I don't know how to remove a hardrive from my CPU but most important: I don't dare do it XD

• Jim Chambers

Have your tech remove it and take it with you while your computer is updated. It will only take a few minutes to open case and disconnect drive. Answer to Dragonmouth - with new motherboard and CPU, O/S would have to be re-installed so why not put it on a new HDD. If old drive re-installed, set Bios so it boots from new drive.

Use the IOBit Protected Folder. Then after installing, you can assign password and just assign the required folders. They will be protected and hidden. Later, you can again unhide and unprotected it again through the software.

• Alexis C

Thank you. I tested the program but it doesn't fit my needs. It certainly password protects and hides your files/folders but if you use it in a pendrive, you loose the protection when you plug it in another PC.