How can I properly remove Babylon from Chrome after uninstalling it?

Silviu Despa November 26, 2012

I downloaded something from CNET and from what I saw the installer tricked me on clicking yes and I also installed Babylon on my PC. I soon realized that Babylon is quite a mess, setting itself up as the homepage for Chrome, Firefox and IE.

I changed the settings on the Home Page for Chrome and I also uninstalled Babylon (from Control Panel), but now every time I open up Chrome, the first tab that opens is the Babylon search engine. I searched Google for this and I realized that a lot of other people are having problems getting rid of it.

Can someone help me on how can I completely remove Babylon? Thank you!

1. HowToVideoInfo

Here's a video breakdown of how to completely remove Babylon from Chrome in 2013 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReN87NGfxng

2. Giggity Goebbels

Change the home page.if that dont work ,try reinstalling chrome and clear temp web files.also navigate to c:\program files and see if there is remains of the babylon.if there is delete it

3. Hank

I managed to get rid of it using the Superantispyware program (fee edition), available at
    http://www.superantispyware.com/ . I had to run it twice to remove all traces - at least I hope all. My Chrome browser is back to normal now.

4. Sreekanth Stern

Go to your google chrome follow these steps
    1.click on settings
    2.click on the extensions which is below the History option
    3.now remove the Babylon .

5. Eath Chantrea

to make sure 100% cleanup. uninstalling the broswer & check delete personal perferences and start fresh install of the broswer.

6. Md Nur-Un-Nabi Tutul

Just follow the procedure Minhaj Jayafar mentioned in his comment..I hope that will solve your problem...

• Dave Rimmer

Think I already stated that?

7. Duy Nguyen Minh

youopen customize and control google chrome ---> tool ---> extention and remove it.

8. Nikhil Chandak

u shall change the search engine of chrome from babylon to google and do the same thing in other browsers ....
    or re-install ur chrome

9. Abba Jee

unistall it from your Add/Reomve programs

Again, not that easy. After I do it it still remains in the system.

10. Ron Lister

You could uninstal both Chrome and Babylon and then reinstal Chrome without the box checked for Babylon to reinstal.l Here are some great free programs in this article by Make Use Of to assist in completely removing them during the uninstall process before you reinstall Chrome http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/steps-to-remove-software-windows-7/ hope it works.

Just change the home page back to default or your preference.

It's not that easy, I've done that already but when I open chrome the first tab is Babylon

If Babylon pages are opening up each time you start up Chrome, check in Chrome menu (previously Wrench icon) > Settings > On Startup > next to the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages, click on Set pages > remove any unwanted URLs by hovering over the URL until you see an "X" appear to the right side of the URL.
    If all searches that you perform in the omnibox is returning with results from Babylon instead of your preferred search engine, check in Chrome menu (previously Wrench icon) > Settings > Search > Manage search engines > check the list of Default search engines, Other search engines, and Search engines added by extensions, and remove suspicious entries that you are not familiar with. Depending on your extensions, you may not see the last section for Search engines added by extensions.
    If Babylon is opening up when you click on the Home button, check in Chrome menu (previously Wrench icon) > Settings > Appearance > select the Show Home button checkbox > check if the URL that appears below it references Babylon.
    Also check that there are no extensions installed that may be causing these changes. Go to Chrome menu (previously Wrench icon) > Settings > Extensions > if you see any unfamiliar extension that you do not remember installing, try disabling/removing the extension to see it was causing these changes. To disable, uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox next to the extension. To remove, hover over the extension until you see a trash can icon appear, and click on the icon.

• Dave Rimmer

Minhaj has it covered, had this problem myself ran a few scanners and the only one that caught it but could not delete it was Spybot Search and Destroy, you have to remove it manually from Chrome and re-install Firefox to remove it.

• Bruce

Yea! Thanks Minhaj!

• Angie

Thank you Minhaj Jayafar! I've been trying to figure this out all morning and following your steps removed it!

• Angie

• Scott

But whereès the menu

• Sarthak

thanx a lot
      babylon is such a pain!!!!

did you tried adwcleaner
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Removal-Tools/AdwCleaner.shtml

Check Program Files of your computer for Babylon
    download everyhing
    http://www.voidtools.com/
    do a search with Babylon then delete everything

If you've enabled any extensions, try disabling them one a time to see if that does the trick (type chrome://settings/extensions into the omnibox/address bar)

go to settings>On start up>set pages. see if somthing is there related to Babylon

Settings, locate Search click Manage Search Engines select Babylon and click on x.

ADWcleaner is the best solution. :)