How can I play a downloaded YouTube video in VLC Player?

Munish Sharma May 2, 2013

I have downloaded a new from YouTube, but my VLC Player is not able to play that video. I am using latest version of VLC.

I have tried with other players, but they are also not able to play it. I am able to see the video only in media player. What should I do?

1. Prayag

same problem occurring, I downloaded the MP4 format file from youtube from IDM and it is not playing

2. Issa

I have the same problem. All the videos I downloaded from other web sites work fine, but videos from Youtube canot be played by any of my players... Your help would be welcome! TIA

3. prakasham

youtube video play in IDM asked download i am started download for mp4 formate download complete but not play in many players like VLC,KMP
    so formate changed in same video download but not play same problem
    but play in windows8 video player but audio not played

4. gustavo

Youtube change the file type

5. Dinesh More

try to play the file in your Browser like
    Google Chrome Or
    Mozilla Firefox
    Actually Web Browser can play your local video as well ..

• richard

do you know why VLC can't play mp4 files downloaded from you tube anymore? my downloads history indicates that sometime during the morning of june 2nd 2013 my VLC player stopped playing the mp4 files from youtube. VLC will play previous mp4 files but nothing after the 2nd. it seems strange. is there any published reason for that? thanks

6. ssssssss

VLC media file (.mp4) (.MP4)
    Not playing

• Dinesh More

Yes you are right VLC Media player in not able to play new .MP4 files which are uploaded on youtube in past few months ..
      Just try to play ur Video using Browser ..

• abhi

Yes, the MP4 video format downloaded from youtube does not play in any player I have. Which player would play it?

7. Chanuka Fernando

if you downloaded it from youtube then it must be a flv format video and .flv works in vlc may be you downloaded someting else like and ad or the web page

8. Chinmay Sarupria

As everyone else said, you need to tell us the video format you downloaded. Supported Youtube video formats are 3gpp, flv, mov, avi, wmv, MPEG4, MPEGS, WebM. These are the only extensions of youtube video. If the video you downloaded has something else, then i would suggest you to redownload that video. You may have .PART extension. If that's the case, the video is not downloaded completely.

Install file utility from the GnuWin32 package. You may need to manually add the path to the binary (executable) file to your path environment variable so you don't need to type the entire path every time you want to use it.

Once installed and with your path set, open a command prompt and navigate to the directory where your problem video resides. Then type 'file name-of-video-file' and hit enter. It should respond with the detected type of file. This program uses 'magic numbers' embedded in the header of the file in order to determine what type of file it is instead of simply assuming that any extension on the file is correct. In some cases a downloaded file will not match the extension. From YouTube, if the download was corrupted, instead of reporting a SWF or FLV file, it will simply say 'data'. In that case, you will need to download the file again.

For multimedia files, you can also use MediaInfo which will report the type of container file as well as what codecs were used to encode the file. If the required codecs are not installed on the system, it provides links to reliable sources for them.

VLC can play a wide range of formats, but not everything. What format is the clip in?

• Haqnawaz

youtube mp4 formate sir not supported by any player some only shows video but no any sound. please tell me which player will support.

• Oron J

OK, I've just tried this myself (downloaded a clip in mp4 format using keepvid.com) and it played just fine in both VLC and Windows Media Player. This suggests that the problem lies elsewhere. Essentially, either they're not really in mp4 format (see other responses in this thread), or perhaps they are corrupt for some reason.

normally if you changed association to vlc when you double click on video it should start playing with vlc
    How to Change VLC File Associations
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5790155_change-vlc-file-associations.html

you can also open vlc interface the drag and drop video to it.

i do not know why you have this problem is it because format is swf
    How to Open an SWF With a VLC

Read more: How to Open an SWF With a VLC |
    How to Open an SWF With a VLC
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7370013_open-swf-vlc.html

if problem still persist then install
    Klite Mega Pack Codec
    http://codecguide.com/download_mega.htm

shark codec
    http://shark007.net/

12. Md Mukhtar Mohsin

Check and tell the video extension to me. is it .flv or something else ?