How can I output a cloned display to both a VGA and DVI monitor from my HP Elitebook with docking station?

Mike May 24, 2012

I have two HP Elitebook laptops, both connected to an HP docking station. Both are identical models (laptop and docking station). The back of the docking station has a VGA output as well as a DVI output. I would like to be able to view the same (cloned) screen on both monitors. Unfortunately, I can do this with one set up, but not the other.

I have swapped the laptops out and the cloned screens follow the laptop, meaning it is not the connections or monitor or docking station. There must be something different in terms of settings on the laptop.

With regards to the the laptop that doesn’t seem to work: when both VGA and DVI cables are hooked up, only the monitor connected to the DVI cable seems to work. When I disconnect the DVI cable, the VGA cable now works. If I were to go in to Display Properties and click “Extend my Desktop” it will in fact extend to both screens, though I don’t want an extension, I want a cloned image on both monitors.

Any thoughts? Is there anything I am missing?

Try reinstalling the video driver on the laptop that doesn't work.

2. Oron

Mike, have you checked your "F-key" status? Most laptops have a key combination (usually the [Fn] and [F5]) which alternates between local screen and external display permutations. It sounds like one of your laptops is in "Local screen only" state.

you can try multi-monitor software to make it easier

Dual Monitor Tools
    http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/

DisplayFusion
    http://www.displayfusion.com/

4. Souheil Bahhady

Have you tried (in case of Windows 7) the WindowsKey+P shortcut (Hold the windows key and press P twice to Duplicate)

Good luck!