How can I open a Linux text file in Windows?

Sugam K December 7, 2013

I am new to linux . I had installed Ubuntu on my laptop and have saved some information in a text file in the Ubuntu OS. I had to delete Ubuntu for some reasons so I copied this file to Windows 7. Now i can not open that text file.

Also I have copied it to the desktop and E: and I can’t even delete it. Please suggest some ways to open that file. When I open up the file properties it shows:

name – linux guru 99.
type of file – File(.)
Opens with : windows Shell commons…blah blah

I have googled for it for the last two days but I have found no solution so far.

Did Jan's suggestion work? If not, can you tell us what error message you are getting when you try to open the file? If you don't get an error message, what does happen?

• Sugam K

I have replied to Jan ...

• Sugam K

I have replied to Jan...Sorry for replying late...

• Sugam K

Surely i will try that .... But i will not be able to try that before 12 december .... I will you tell about problem if any at that time...
      Thanks for your support...

It appears the file was saved without a file extension which Windows is using to determine the application used to open it. If you rename it to e.g. "linux guru 99.txt" it should open in the right application.

You may encounter issues with UNIX type line breaks so going for Notepad++ may actually the better choice to open the document.

• Sugam K

yup indeed i saved the file with no extension in linux and when i try to change its extension to txt in windows it shows the system cant find the file specified...

Actually out of frustration i accidentally deleted the file (using delete+enter) but it is still showing up on desktop and there is no such file in recycle bin

it is also showing up when i use the dir command in cmd...but when i try to copy it using cmd it says system cant find the file specified

Also I have used Recuva in Recycle bin and Desktop using deep scan but still it doesnt show up

In the properties however the file shows its size that is 1.80mb...I am confused...What should i do now???

• Jan F

This sounds more like the behavior of a corrupt file entry.

Since Windows is refusing any access to it the only idea I have is booting up from a Linux live system and ~ assuming Linux can work with the file ~ copy it to a FAT32 USB drive with the txt file extension and then try accessing it from within Windows.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/combine-multiple-iso-images-burn-single-bootable-iso-image-file/
      http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/parted-magic-complete-hard-drive-toolbox-live-cd/

• Sugam K

ok i will try doing that after 12 December and post you about that.... I am busy till then... Thanks for your support...:)

• Sugam K

Surely i will try that …. But i will not be able to try that before 12 december …. I will you tell about problem if any at that time…
      Thanks for your support…

trey to open it in Notepad++
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/