How can I move apps to the memory card on a Windows 8 phone?

DrSunil Vaswani May 19, 2013

How can I move apps to the memory card on a Windows 8 phone? The phone in question is Nokia Lumia 720

You must be aware that Windows phone apps by default gets installed on internal memory.Even Google is pushing on internal memory as the primary storage for apps so you can see much higher internal memory and omission of SD card slot in many phones.

In WP8(Windows Phone 8),one can put apps in SD card and can install it in internal memory.Moreover,there's a limit to it i.e. 10 apps.To do more,one would need a developer account.

• DrSunil Vaswani

thanks for relevant research

windows 8 phone it is not like android, on earlier versions like windows mobile 2003sz, could install applications on sd card, apparently now it is not the same because windows 8 architecture

performance is not the same if application run from internal storage or from sd card

How do I install apps from an SD card?

• DrSunil Vaswani

How does an app running from internal storage against the same app running from sd card affect performance? Pl elaborate

well it is read and write speed hard drive is faster than memory card, also how the program is written

• DrSunil Vaswani

App moved to sd card would generally run slower than that running from internal storage?

it depends on how they are written, and some will be slow and some will not work since they are not written to work from sd card

I dont think you can! Maybe someone will know of a way but I havnt been able to find anything on the net other than "You cant".

The first link I have given, is the appropriate link for your question. The other links are to gain further knowledge about WP8, specially the last one. :)

• Chinmay Sarupria

Hello Rajaa,

The first link is actually about installing apps from sd card not installing to sd card.