How can I manually edit an emailed Word document?

Lisa B July 25, 2013

How can I edit a Word document sent to me in an email?

1. Sarabjeet S

google docs is an online service to manually edit & save & forward word, excel etc. files. it is applicable by default with the gmail account.

Even if you use Gmail or Outlook(formerly Hotmail),you can open it and can edit it online.These two service providers allow you to edit documents online when you open it.

If you are not a user of above two email provider,then you can download the attachment and use LibreOffice or Microsoft office software to edit the document.

3. Paul P

1. Right click on the attachment and choose "Save As", "Download" or "Save to my Computer".
    2. Then go to where you saved it. I recommend saving to the Desktop, then double click on the document and see if it opens in Word or WordPad and if you are allowed to edit it.
    3. If Windows ask you which program to choose to edit it with because say it is a Doc file instead of o a docx one and you don't have Microsoft Word installed, then download the free LibreOffice, https://www.libreoffice.org/, and try opening the document again by double clicking on it.
    4. If you aren't allowed to edit the document because there is a password preventing editing. There are some things you can do. If you have a docx file, add a ".zip" extension to the end of the file. Double click on the file but don't choose to unzip it. Navigate to the "word" subfolder of the zip and you should see a file called "settings.xml". Right click on it and choose delete. Close the Window and remove the ".zip" extension and try opening the file again. - See http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-remove-password-from-protected-word-file-in-word-2007-and-2010/
    5. If you have a doc file or a docx one, the easiest thing to do might be to hit Ctl-A to highlight the whole document and then Ctl-C to copy it. Then start a new document and hit Ctl-V to paste it into the new one.

The essential process is that you need to save the attachment to disc, then open it. The details of how to save attachments differ from one email program to another, as Tina rightly points out.

5. Tina Sieber

Lisa,

Could you please let us know under what email provider you received that email and how you access your account? For example was it sent to a Yahoo! address? Do you access your email online or do you use a desktop email client (and which one)?

I assume the Word document is attached to the email. Can you not download the attachment to edit it in Word or another Word processor?

If you do not have Microsoft Word, you can use a free alternative like Libre Office.