How can I make videos run smoothly on my AMD E-300 powered laptop?
Question by Ian K /

I have a 64 bit Windows 7 Pro HP 635 laptop that uses AMD’s 1.3 GHz E-300 CPU and has 12GB of RAM loaded. Nearly all videos are severely laggy regardless of whether they’re full-screen or not. Other computers and devices in the house run video without any problem so I know it’s not my provider. It also takes an incredibly long time to load some programs, for instance, it takes ~15s to load Chrome. Photoshop and Illustrator, both CS6, work just fine on it. I’ve already fine tuned the startup programs through msconfig and closed as many programs as possible in the Task Manager, so I’m hoping there some other options out there.
Am I just screwed and need to buy a new laptop, or is there something I can do to improve things?

• Bruce E

You specifically state that you are streaming these problem videos, but I am assuming so because of your mention of your provider. That being the case and considering the slow load time of Chrome, check your network adapter, your machine’s connection to your router, error rates on the connection etc. It really sounds like you have a network problem specifically with that one machine and that is what you need to investigate.

Play a local video file or a DVD on the machine to prove it isn’t an issue with the CPU, video subsystem, (possibly) codecs, or the associated drivers. You may also want to check for better network drivers, possibly downgrading them as sometimes the “latest and greatest” drivers (of any kind) can cause performance issues.

• Dalsan M

You are not screwed. I have an AMD C-60 APU netbook and have no issues with playing videos, streaming content, or even playing some older games (even Burnout Paradise, for the most part). It really depends on what tweaks you make, if your drivers are updated, how cluttered your hard drive is (fragmented and how full it is). Not much can be done to help loading times of Photoshop and such, except using a solid state drive or a flash drive for ReadyBoost.

I would go to the AMD support site in order to get the latest graphics driver ( and install version 13.4 (the link should be like this, depending on your region: When the installation finishes, or if your driver is up to date, right-click on a blank area of your desktop and select AMD Vision Control Center (or Catalyst Control Center). Click on Preferences at the upper right, and select Advanced View. On the left-hand side of the window, click on Video, then select Video Quality. Under Video Playback, make sure that Enforce Smooth Video Playback is checked, as well as Apply current video quality settings to Internet video is checked. Close the Control Center and see if this helps. If not, there are plenty of other tweaks that you can and should use.

Right-click on the Task Bar (any blank area on the bar at the bottom of the screen that has the Start button and the Date and Time display, and select Properties. Make sure that Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop is unchecked. Click Apply, then click OK. If you would like a better and easier way of tweaking some of the other settings as well as disable unnecessary or unwanted features, go here: for advanced users and features, or here for basic users and features: Be careful not to apply tweaks that you are unsure of, just disable what you think you do not need, enable the ones you do need, and be sure to research what you do not know or understand. You can also go to and carefully follow the guide in order to disable, or set to manual, unnecessary Windows services. When in doubt, Google search it. If still in doubt, leave it alone.

Go to the manufacturer’s website to make sure that you have updated drivers for your system. Alternatively, and I use it all the time without any issues, go here and install SlimDrivers. This will go deeper in your system to find most updated drivers for your system. It may take a while to download and update all the drivers, but it is well worth it in the end.

Next would be to use either CCleaner, Advanced System Care (IOBit), or other similar utility (Glary Utilities, etc.) and clean your system up. Afterwards, use My Defrag to Deep Optimize your hard drive (defrag for highest optimization and performance), unless you are using an SSD (solid-state drive).

This is most of what I did to optimize my lowly AMD C-60 1.0 GHz (1.3GHz turbo) netbook, and all is well, aside from long load times of software. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Although not a high performance machine, your AMD E-300 APU system should perform slightly better than my system. If at all possible, uninstall any unused or unwanted programs and files…clutter can become an issue.

One thing to note, registry cleaning most likely will not help your situation, but instead can wind up causing system errors. Use with caution, but if you feel you need to, use CCleaner’s registry cleaner as it is mild and generally causes no issues after cleaning.

• Dalsan M

*Note, streaming content, especially through the web, may stutter if there is a lot of buffering going on while the video is playing. Allowing the video to buffer for a while before playing the video may help. Making sure that the hardware acceleration option in your browser may help as well.

CPU Benchmarks
    it is not high end processor so you have to be patient when you use heavy software, considering video playback i wonder if it is not driver problem, update it. Your laptop model can also help

• Matt Smith

You’re probably screwed. Only other thing I can think to recommend is trying a super-light OS or downgrading to XP. The AMD E-300 is a very slow processor and not really able to handle a lot of modern computing tasks.

• Dalsan M

For video playback, he is not screwed. Stuttering should not be an issue, though it depends on the video player being used. AMD APU’s are highly recommended for HTPC’s because of the video playback capabilities, low power consumption, and low cost. It may not handle some programs very quickly, but my AMD C-60 netbook has gotten me through plenty of school related software and applications, including MS Visual Studio and Oracle VM VirtualBox. I am running Windows 7 HP (and 7 Pro through Virtual Box) without much issue (though VirtualBox is slow because of the low processor speed). I cannot have more than 30 browser tabs open while listening to streaming music, converting videos, and have a few other programs open at the same time (though it slows down a little), but what the OP is trying to accomplish should not occur. I would suggest using a different media player, such as Media Player Classic-Home Cinema edition and enable hardware acceleration. MPC-HC is lightweight and I have not had any issues on my C-60 netbook.

Downgrading to XP would not help much, especially since the 64bit version is not as compatible with software. 7 is perfectly fine, so long as many of the features, like Aero Peek and Aero Glass, are turned off, I would avoid downgrading to XP at all costs (finding compatible drivers for all hardware, usually the wireless adapter, would be very difficult).