How can I make OpenOffice open files in a window with a specific size and location?
Question by Joseph Videtto /

I have about 6 doc files that I have to often view at the same time, and every time I open each using Open Office, I have to take quite a bit of time positioning them optimally on my monitor.

Is there a way to do this automatically ? – open all 6 files and position them in desired spots on the monitor ?

I’m wondering the different ways to go about this, and the pros and cons of each. I realize there might be a way to do this with 3rd party scripting software, as well as maybe native startup scripts, but not sure exactly how to do this. Just looking for at least a high level overview (especially where to store scripts assuming I save files on USB flash drive and work on different machines).

In fact – if I want to use cloud services, or something OTHER than OpenOffice for my documents, is there an easy way to do this with a cloud-based document program ? – e.g. automatically open 6 documents in separate windows on the PC, and position them optimally for my editing/viewing pleasure ?

• Oron Joffe

Two more ways you can do this are 1) write macros in Open Office (several programming languages are supported) or 2) use AutuHotKey and create a script to open the documents and position each window where you want it. Either system will allow you to do what you want, but the former is probably going to be quite a learning curve. AutoHotKey is easy to use, but, being an external tool, it may be more susceptible to “environmental issues” (such as resizing the wrong windows if you have additional windows open).

perhaps you can make set of rules linking some doc together to be opened in the same way you want.

3 Simple Programs That Can Help You Manage Multiple Windows

• Alan Wade

I dont think its possible to open individual documents on different parts of the screen. The normal rule of thumb is where you close your last document is where the next document should open.
    This of course dosnt work for all programs but will proberly be the best you will get.