How can I make my WiFi the primary internet connection, even if a data card is attached?

Ravi Kumar February 22, 2013

While using my office WiFi, some of the websites are blocked. Hence I plug in my data card to access those. But the system takes my data card as the primary connection and the WiFi goes to idle. All the resources and downloads (Office Data), which were earlier queued up, start getting downloaded through my data card, hence making me pay for it.

Hence I want my WiFi to be primary, in case if a website is blocked by WiFi firewall, then it should get accessed through my data card, since I keep both of them plugged in simultaneously. To be simple, I use my office crm and download a torrent.

Torrent should get downloaded through datacard and the crm activities must be running through datacard.

1. dragonmouth

Of course you know that by bypassing the blocks you could be breaking company policy, thus endangering your job?

• ravi

boss i am not breaking any policy i am allowed to use my data card in the office with which i can acess even the websites bloacked by my companies wifi network. My issue is once i insert my data card the websites acessable by my wifi network also gets loaded through data card.consuming the data cap i have in my card

1. Start > Run > ncpa.cpl
    2. Right click the desired connection Click Properties scroll to Internet Protocol Version 4 and highlight
    4. Click Properties, under general > Advanced.
    5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
    6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".
    the lowest is the default highest priority
    For the wired connection 100. For the wireless connection, you can type in a higher value like 10.

you can also to the Default gateways
    click Add... of the Default gateways.
    Uncheck the Automatic metic checkbox, and then enter your router and assign your metric index.

do the same for both wifi and datacard
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/route.mspx?mfr=true

then
    1) Start > Run > ncpa.cpl
    2) once network connections is opened then hit alt-n-s this will open a new window (Advanced settings) which is Adapters and Bindings tab, re-order the connections?

then to check open cmd and type: route print
    go to Persistent Routes and see the gateway

• ravi

Hi

I am not that typical tech guy.
      "Uncheck the Automatic metic checkbox, and then enter your router and assign your metric index.
      do the same for both wifi and datacard" I dont know how to proceed with this but still i tried giving a higer value to my data card after unchecking Automatic metic checkbox. Data card value id 4750 and wifi value is 4250.
      Still datacard is bieng taken as a primary conenction and my wifi is idle.

I even changed the order in the advanced setting. In the adapter and bindings tab. I have wireless network conection as the first one. Local area connection second and remote acess connections as third.

if your network is using the new IP protocol then Select IPv6

If both connections have default gateway address, Windows uses the one with the lower metric value.
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299540

By default, most router manufacturers use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 as the default LAN IP address.
      http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/finding-my-router%E2%80%99s-ip-address
      for you open cmd and type: ipconfig/all
      under Ethernet adapter look for Default Gateway, this is your routers IP address.

for wifi choose metric value 1 and datacard 2 or more?

open cmd and type route print
      look Active routesunder Ip4 route table there is Network destination 0.0.0.0 are there two of this and what are Gateway and Metric values?

also if you are in business environment perhaps the administrator did the thing so that wifi always will be the one.

• muotechguy

I'm not sure how this will load blocked websites through the datacard, but otherwise a comprehensive answer!

sure blocked websites do not depend on connection type, blocked sites can be via host files, application blocker, sites blocker...

Most likely, when you add the datacard to the system, it is becoming the default gateway. You can open a command prompt and use the command 'route print -4' without the datacard connected to see what your wifi is using then attach the datacard and re-run the command to see that it is changing your default route (the first line of the routing table containing a destination address of 0.0.0.0 and a netmask of 0.0.0.0) to use the datacard instead. If this is the case, you can then use 'route change 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 *gateway* metric 10'. You will need to run this one from an elevated command prompt for it to work and you need to change *gateway* to the IP address of the gateway interface (the near side of the router of your current network - this information is found in the first route print command you issued in the third column of the line that indicates the destination address of 0.0.0.0 and netmask of 0.0.0.0 [this is the entry we are changing]).